:thumbsup2: That's another job on the moneypit done. Between the advice and freebirds writeup on forkseals in the tech library, Oh and a trip to home depot and sears, while I surely didn't get it done in an hour, I now know how to change the seals in the forks on a vr.

Tomorrow is valve cover gaskets. Anybody got any suggestions?

Trying to get the bike ready for a trip to south Ga the end of the month.

I had been thinking about selling this thing this winter, but at this point, I think a coat of paint and a sattelite radio, and I might just keep her.

Can't swing it this time, but I think next go round I might try to get in on the deal for the MAC mufflers.

Valve covers,

The rear is the easy one to do it comes out the left side of the bike fairly easy but the front one is more pain I found the best way to remove the front valve cover is to remove the air filter housing and remove the YICA vacuum booster this will allow you to remove the plastic heat shield covering the valve cover plus give you more room to work with the valve cover goes out the right side of engine just turn here turn there angle here angle there you will soon get it out.

I also used form-a-gasket to the valve covers to help hold in the new gaskets and I let the valve covers to set on a flat surface for awhile to allow the gasket to set up good in the valve covers so going back with them is less of a pain that way the gasket won't be falling out on you as for the heat shields I left mine out easier later on when doing the plugs never had any problems with that part but others like to fight with them while your in there might as well move you TCI unit from under the battery box and place it on top of your air filter lid easier later on if need be to service it.

good luck let us know how things go

buddy

I just replaced the valve cover gaskets on Bertha this week. I was cleaning the carbs and took the opportunity to replace a collapsed coolant hose as well. The rear was easier after I used a gasket cement to install the gasket in the cover, just to keep the gasket in place. The front was the bad one, takes a little twisting and turning , The front valve cover hits the fan shroud when you try to move it up. I took the coolant hose off the engine and was able to get the cover out without a lot of bother. I went ot napa and matched out a 3/4 inch preform hose that worked great. I would suggest that you change out the front hose as mine was collapsed and was cutting down on coolant flow. Getting the baffles out was the hardest job for me, especially the front.