IGNORED

Well she's running, next problem :)

Ok, so I had the thread earlier about the fuel petcock. Got the fixed, the bikes running, so moving on to the next thing. I have an 83 venture. I paid $400 for the bike. The only other thing I tell is wrong with it so far is the foot brake. I know it also controls one of the front calipers. The problem is that when you press the pedal down, it stays, and you have to pull it back up. So any suggestions, tips, advice, etc., would be greatly appreciated. thanks for all the help earlier. Look forward to getting my bike on the road!!

Ok, so I had the thread earlier about the fuel petcock. Got the fixed, the bikes running, so moving on to the next thing. I have an 83 venture. I paid $400 for the bike. The only other thing I tell is wrong with it so far is the foot brake. I know it also controls one of the front calipers. The problem is that when you press the pedal down, it stays, and you have to pull it back up. So any suggestions, tips, advice, etc., would be greatly appreciated. thanks for all the help earlier. Look forward to getting my bike on the road!!

My 83 sits out in the weather all year and the same thing happens to me every year. If you will look at your foot pedal linkage you can trace it back to where the linkage connects to a pin that goes through the frame to a lever that operates the plunger to the rear master cylinder. At any rate, this pin that goes through the frame is a snug fit so if a little water gets in there after a while rust will form so that it is difficult for the pin to revolve back and forth easily so the spring then is not strong enough to bring the pedal back to the at rest position. The best way to correct the problem is to disassemble all of the linkage both on the front side and the linkage to the master. Once everything is out of the way this pin and lever can be pushed through the frame, all of the rust removed from both the pin and bush in the frame, grease installed into the bush and then reassembled. The grease helps in keeping water from seeping back in for some time. This takes some time to do however. An easier way, although it is no cure and will need to be done much more often as there is no grease protection is to take the linkage loose from the master cylinder so that the brake pedal can have much greater movement. Then Rust Buster or an equivalent product can be liberally sprayed onto the area where the pin goes through the frame. Keep working the pedal up and down and spraying to keep the area wet with solvent. After a while of working this pedal a little farther in both directions as the fluid seeps in will finally get most of the rust out and make the pedal pivot very easily again. Once it moves freely connect the lever back to the master and your done. As I said though, it's not going to last nearly as long as taking everything apart and greasing.

Dick