IGNORED

How to stretch leather?

Guest human4m

Guest human4m

One of the leather straps on the bags of my 97 RS is short! It's apparently not been taken care of before I bought it. The strap looks like it suffered some pretty serious shrinkage, and I am looking for some good tips to stretch it back out. I've got plenty of leather treatments, but they're for cleaning & protecting...

My father in law told me to soak the strap in water, then stretch it out by hand, little by little. Soak-Stretch-Dry-Treat. He said do this a couple times and I should be able to get it where I need it to be.

The bags are the hard-leather bags (ABS covered with leather) if that helps. I'll try to post pictures if I remember when I get home tonight.

**On a side note, I'm not so concerned with the aesthetics of the leather after stretching, it's the structural integrity of the 'belt' I'm worried about.

get it wet is the best way. it won't affect the integrity much as long as you do it slow. this is how they make raw hide drums, etc etc and they can last for centuries.

I really have to apologize.... a guy asks a legitimate question with the anticipation of receiving a responsible and informative response and a guy like me comes along with a ridiculous offering.... geeeesh, I really need to get out for a ride! :eek: :eek:

I would suspect what your father-in-law said would be the way to do it.

I really have to apologize.... a guy asks a legitimate question with the anticipation of receiving a responsible and informative response and a guy like me comes along with a ridiculous offering.... geeeesh, I really need to get out for a ride! :eek: :eek:

I would suspect what your father-in-law said would be the way to do it.

We can write it off as PMS (though it was quite funny)

PS. I'm still laughing!

Guest human4m

D'oh! I JUST sold my medieval torture rack on eBay! I knew I should've kept it around a little bit longer, but the wife got tired of looking at it!:bang head:

I didn't even think about checking with the local shoe shop. Strangely enough there is one in Jacksonville, NC. (Home of our Heroes - Camp Lejeune) It really is just like a leather belt strap. I'll try that route if the long-term, slow stretch doesn't work. Thanks!

D'oh! I JUST sold my medieval torture rack on eBay! I knew I should've kept it around a little bit longer, but the wife got tired of looking at it!:bang head:

now tell the truth.... it was more like you got tired of her torturing you....wasn't it??? fess up!! :witch_brew:

Guest human4m
now tell the truth.... it was more like you got tired of her torturing you....wasn't it??? fess up!! :witch_brew:

She doesn't need a rack to do that... All she has to do is cook dinner....:sign thanks but no

--> royalstarjac It still has the same amount of leather in the fold at the top of the bags, and the same number of holes. I think it's a combination of the strap, and the leather that covers the lid shrinking, 'cause I saw plastic peeking out of it too.

I'm gonna go poke around and look for Beer30...

Give me a call . I have an item called Shoe-Stretch . All I have to do is spray it , as it's an alcohol based liquid that dries very quickly .

If it's a goner , I have some leather available and we can make another if necessary.

By the way , bring the wife . I have a torture rack myself !

BEER30