IGNORED

Big motorcycle trip?

aspen60

Somewhere around the end of last summer, someone posted a link to a story a young rider wrote and documented with LOTS of pictures of a trip he took on his bike from down south all the way across the country on his old small crummy bike. (It was small, like an old 500) for the life of me I can't find it or a link to it now. All I can remember were the pictures of his old bike with the fenders tied on with wire, the engine oil running out everywhere, and the story he told of sleeping on the ground next to it. Anyone remember it?

Made me remember my experience at 19 back in 79'. I took my 12yr old brother and all the camping gear my Suzuki 550 could haul on a 33 day, 6300 mile road trip! Oh, to be so young again without a morgage, a divorce, and to be so carefree! All we ever really needed was a motorcycle and time!

My brother still considers that a milestone in his life!

That was a great story. I too had a ride of a lifetime in 1974. A buddy and I took our 2 1972 Kawasaki 750s out west to see everything we could. Carlsbad Caverns,Grand Canyon,Bryce Canyon,Zion Canyon, White Sands,Petrified Forest,Gila Cliff Dwellings,Painted Desert,Yellowstone,Salt lake flats,Grand Tetons,Rockey Mountain Nat'll Park{slept in a cage somewhere near the middle of the park, didn't realize what the cage was for until later. Bear. Too tired to care when we stopped.} We slept in sleeping bags for most of the trip. Rode alot of miles with alot of smiles. My butt couldn't handle a 72 750s seat for 30 miles now.:rotfl::D

Here is another report from a young man riding big miles.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465713

His was one heck of a trip! I was following along from the Virago site, as he was on a 750 Virago. Amazing the way he overcame obstacles including a broken side case in the Yukon. One post, and a fellow Virago rider express mailed him a spare out of his own garage! Great pics too. Here's another link to his blog.

http://vagrantbiker.blogspot.com/

...reminds me of the trip I took with two buddies out west on my cb750 when I was 18 years old, one riding an early '70s 750 and another on a 550four just like that one...sleeping beside the road, surviving hail storms, getting hit by a malard duck that almost took my shoulder off, 34 degree temps around L. Superior, crashing at farm houses and getting free food because folks thought we were about to die of hunger, getting chased by the local fuzz, losing bike parts all over the prairies, we rode on gravel and pavement like there was no difference between the two...darn fun, we certainly don't do it like that any more.....eh?