IGNORED

Top Enlisted Association

Aimhigh

I hope this posting is not out of line, if so, please delete it and advise me of my transgression.

I recently joined an organization comprised of Senior Enlisted personnel (E-9). I am not sure where this org will be going, but I like the idea of helping maintain our military defense and the troops that continue to protect us. I am posting the Mission Statement; the website is: http://www.aftea.us/

:325:

"OUR MISSION

The AFTEA mission is to advocate a strong national defense that will protect the security of the United States. We support a defense budget that will provide modern and sufficient equipment so that our military personnel can safely and effectively accomplish their mission.

We seek to educate the public and members of Congress about the uniformed services and their most important asset, its people.

We promote improved quality-of-life and economic fairness that will support the well-being of the men and women of America's Uniformed Services and their families. We give voice to our members' concerns about military pay, health care, pension and disability, survivor benefits, education, housing, child care, and other quality-of-life programs.

The Armed Forces Top Enlisted Association (AFTEA) is a non-profit veteran's organization representing the professional and personal interests of active duty and retired men and women of America's Uniformed Services, National Guard and Reserve."

There are bunches of organizations out there for military (active/former/retired). The VA maintains a list of service organizations that are registered with them: http://www1.va.gov/vso/index.cfm?template=view Note that the Air Force Sergeants Association is listed there.

http://www.trea.org/ The Retired Enlisted Organization has a good reputation as far as I have heard.

There is one organization, Non-commissioned Officers Association (NCOA) that I have only been a member of once. They may have changed their ways, but for years they were not ethical at all in their business practices.

If you are near a military base there may be associations that welcome retired, reserve, and active members. We have a Sergeants Major Association at Ft McPherson that welcomes all Army E-9s, they may welcome other services as well.

Senior Enlisted E7 to E9? Or E9s only?

Curt

I served 5 years thinking the same thing. I got a few E-7's and E-8's I need to call and let them know of this!:witch_brew:

Maybe the Navy and Coast Guard are different, we were preached to about the 7, 8, and 9 thing!

Ben

Curt...they bill it as E9s from all services

Thanks...I researched after I asked the question...mission is a good one. But the fine print for this group was TOP enlisted as in E9.

I asked the question only because when I was active duty, Senior Enlisted were E7s, E8s, and E9s. I was a senior NCO (MSgt) when I retired, and even through Air Force spent my last five years on two Navy bases where the Navy and Marines I hung out with called me "Top". Getting my MA killed my board score on the last go around so I punched before making E8.