IGNORED

Quick Question4YA

talonsx2

So I have started the tear down of the 1st gen so that I may (after 10 Yrs) replace the 2nd gear. In the tear down I have come across a few problems that I am wondering about. The first question being do I have to remove the clutch release cylinder in order to remove the engine? I have found that one of the bolts is stripped :thumbdown:and its a 6MM? allen bolt. If you have seen or done this before you know how tight it is in there. Any suggestions on how to remove this bolt?

Thanks in advance:bowdown:

Michael

I don't envy you. :bang head:

It is a very tight space in there.

You don't have to remove cylinder to remove engine. Just remove 12 mm banjo bolt that goes holds clutch line to cylinder.

You probably would want to rebuild this cylinder while it is out of bike though. Rebuild kit is around $13.00 from thundervalleypower.com.

Attached are three pictures of clutch cylinder.

First two are from a 1300 engine I pulled today. Engine is still very dirty. Clutch slave is still attached to block.

Last one is picture from my 1200 with the cylinder removed. This is looking up at it. Oil pan opening is on bottom left, stator opening on top left for reference.

Gary

Edited by dingy

So I have started the tear down of the 1st gen so that I may (after 10 Yrs) replace the 2nd gear. In the tear down I have come across a few problems that I am wondering about. The first question being do I have to remove the clutch release cylinder in order to remove the engine? I have found that one of the bolts is stripped :thumbdown:and its a 6MM? allen bolt. If you have seen or done this before you know how tight it is in there. Any suggestions on how to remove this bolt?

Thanks in advance:bowdown:

Michael

You don't need to remove the clutch slave.... I had the same problem when I rebuilt all the masters on the '83 when I first bought it. One of the allen heads busted off when R&Ring. Just remove the banjo fitting and that's it. If the threads are stripped there are several ways to repair once you have the engine out. If the Allen head's busted off I just drilled the head of mine off and pulled the slave. Then took a stud remover and got the rest of the screw out. All much easier when the engine is stitting on the bench.

Hey Dingy thanks for the reply. This may seem obvious to some :whistling:but in order for me to remove the Banjo I first need to drain all the fluid out first right? :confused24:How do I drain that? Thanks again..

Michael:225:

Loosen Banjo bolt & put catch pan under it is about only way.

You could crack bleeder screw & put drain line on bleeder & pump most of it out be pressing clutch lever. There is not a lot of fluid in there. Majority of fluid in clutch system is in the master cylinder.

Gary