IGNORED

The way it should be sung....

Condor

A few years ago my family visited Arlington Cemetary and watched in silence the changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown.

A visitor in the crowd had a few very quiet but disrespectful comments and the ceremony and the Commander of the Guard with his eyes locked on the man approached hime and very quitely ask for him to exit the area and said he would meet the man at the end os the sidewalk to hear his complaints. The Commander was polite and very quiet in his instructions at the end of the guard change. The complainer started to move away and a girl that looked to be maybe 12 or 13 started walking behind him she started singing The National Anthem in a very soft voice and before long the entire crowd was singing and walking a few steps behind the man. Letting him know how they felt as we got down the sidewalk I looked back and the Commander was standing at the top of the hill saluting and did not move until everything fell dead quiet.

The Commander turned and disappered, later we where taking amily fpictuers beneath a Cherry Tree in full bloom and I saw him coming down the sidewalk. He was holding in his hand a single red rose, walking by us He moved on down the hill and walked up behind the young lady, addressing her she turned and he presented the rose to her. Without another word spoken He turn and walked back up the hill. Staight and true in that measured step and once again dissappeared over the rise. Those standing on the sidewalk with us where in tears and the young lady had a smile a mile wide.

What really made this so special was we had a 15 year old female Russian exchange student with living with us and even she was crying.

Never been in any branch of service but I do have 4 first cousins on the Vietnam Wall.

Steve

Very cool story. My sister in law had taken her boys to D.C to see the memorials. She got so pissed at the way the kids were treating some of the statues and other monuments by climbing all over them. She wasn't as mad at the kids it was the adults they were with. Kids only learn respect from the adults in their lives. That young girl in your story must have made her folks very proud.

Margaret