IGNORED

Car Tire Problems

chrisboggsfmc

Greetings

Although I'm very interested in installing a C/T due to the potential high mileage nearly every link I read concerning installation of C/T includes a wobble problem, so I have a few questions:

1. Do we know how many have installed the C/T's and had wobble problems vs those who have installed it with no problems?

2. Those who have installed the C/T, are you still running the tire?

Thanks

Chris

Greetings

Although I'm very interested in installing a C/T due to the potential high mileage nearly every link I read concerning installation of C/T includes a wobble problem, so I have a few questions:

1. Do we know how many have installed the C/T's and had wobble problems vs those who have installed it with no problems?

Thanks

Chris

1. No wobble for me. I ordered my BFG from my local discount tire and they mounted it on my wheel for me no problem. I have never been above 80 or so though, and I do run dyna beads.

2. Still there and will be until it gives out.

I think the wobble could be from a bunch of things including front tire pressure, steering head bearings, rear tire pressure.

Hey Chris! I am 50 miles new to the Darkside and like you was rather anxious about the wobble I kept reading about. Luckily I do not have a wobble! How come? Don't really quite know! Somewhere between luck, becoming as knowledgeable as I could before dipping in, and then trying to implement everything I had learned correctly played a part in my favor!

The wobble, I believe, is real and will continue to haunt us darksiders till someone way smarter then me gets a handle on it! Fortunately we have great people here pecking away at the issue and I truly believe years from now these people will be considered the forefathers of the Darksiders and a ct will be a standard on most bikes, all wobble issues being a thing of the past.

You are doing great to become as knowledgeable as you can! This is definitely not for the faint of heart! Come to think of it neither is riding a MC! Hope this helps!

I tried a CT last summer and went back to MC tire after several hundred miles. A CT offers some real advantages, especially in braking, but they don't work on all bikes. My 06 Venture developed what might be best described as an oscillation. A riding partner said the rear of my bike looked like it was doing a dance down the interstate. The rear end would also kick out unexpectedly during hard cornering.

The ride was much smoother with my wife on the back and she even thought the ride was much smoother, but the oscillation/woble and cornering issues were more than I care to deal with. To me, the CT took away some of the stability and cornering ability of my bike and I'm not giving up the handling qualities of my bike to save few bucks on tires.

I posted a reasonably detailed write-up on my experience in this forum last summer.

hi chris

i guess i was number 4 or 5 to go to the darkside, i went right after forrest( flab78 ) did. i have had the dreaded wobble twice. 1'st time with the m/c tires but i was rolling over a 100 mph when it happened. i know of a 1'st gener who had this happened to him with only about 300 miles on new m/c tires. he went back home after the weekend and rebuilt the front end of his bike. the 2'nd time the wobble happened was with a bfg 155 on the rear and a me880 130 on the front. i guess i was close to 100 mph again. i have had the steering head bearings tighten but i never ride above 85-90 mph anymore, no reason to ride faster. i have pulled a fully loaded trailer to canada and back with my daughter with no issues. that was over 4,000 mile round trip. i put over 31,000 miles on the bfg. i now run the avon corba on the front and the kumho 165 on the rear. i maybe have a couple thousand miles on the bike with this combo. but i realy like the set up on the bike now smooth as glass. i have been up to 95mph with no wobble. i plan on doing a ride out to new mexico, colorado and wyoming this summer with my daughter and the fully loaded trailer again. so i'll be reporting back in with more info. i have not tried the dayna beads yet but will look more to it. thanks for your intrest into the darkside, as i have stated in my post this is not a mod for everyone but it's working for me. if i can be of any help please feel free to contact me i not far from you. reguards

don c.

• 2 weeks later...
Greetings

Thanks

Chris

I had the Kuhmo put on about 400 miles ago and I still have a wobble problem. It does'nt do it all the time, but enough that I'm considering going back to a MC tire. I've tried different air pressure and dynabeads and it still occasionally happens, usually after passing 70 mph GPS indicated. I'm going to tighten my steering head bearings next to see if that will help. I run a Avon Venom in the front. It still has a lot of tread left and looks good, but thinking about swapping that out also. Also tried different air pressure in the struts and shock. It might be just the particular tire that I have. Another one may not do it at all. Hope this info helps.

Glenn

I had the Kuhmo put on about 400 miles ago and I still have a wobble problem. It does'nt do it all the time, but enough that I'm considering going back to a MC tire. I've tried different air pressure and dynabeads and it still occasionally happens, usually after passing 70 mph GPS indicated. I'm going to tighten my steering head bearings next to see if that will help. I run a Avon Venom in the front. It still has a lot of tread left and looks good, but thinking about swapping that out also. Also tried different air pressure in the struts and shock. It might be just the particular tire that I have. Another one may not do it at all. Hope this info helps.

Glenn

I wonder if the tire could have a broken belt?