There is a rattle in my exhaust that sounds like a piece of loose metal in the exhaust. While the bike is running, I was listening to the exhaust from both sides and it se4emed to be slightly louder on the right side. So I shut the bike off, and pulled the right side exhaust. After removing it, and checking for any debris in the muffler, I removed the left side and did the same. After ensuring both were clear, I fired the bike up while they were off. Without the mufflers, the rattle became more of a banging sound. I shut the bike off again, and raised it up. I took a rubber mallet and started tapping on the remaining parts of the exhaust and found that I could here the noise when I tapped on the exhaust chamber. My initial thought was that one or more of the inner pipes of the chamber had broke loose. I made the decision to try to locate a new or used chamber, so I could replace it and do away with the noise. I was unable to find a used one, and the new one I found was nearly $600.00. So I have ruled that out. I am wondering if there is any way to repair this or if anybody may have a spare. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

yes ther is a repair. When you remove it take it to a welder(if you cant weld like I cant) and have them cut open the collecter ,remove or reweld the baffles and then reweld. While they have it give it a good look over as ther are a few places that tend to crack. What comes to mind on me is the mounting tab. If you can find a long needle nose pliers I have heard of peaple using these to reach up in the collecter with it still on the bike and twisting out the baffles. Good chance if it rattling its loose enough to be twisted up and be pulled out the back.

When mine started doing thhis I was told all these same things. I was also told that you can ride the bike as it is with no ill effects on the bike other than the noise. this is what I did. After a few spirited rides teaching a couple of second gens what was up with my antique, it stopped rattling on it own.

Good luck.

Oh yeah as a afftre htought I have heard of a few peaple getting their carbs sinched and the sound went away also, but not sure if thats your problems as it gets pouder with the mufflers off.

Good luck and keeps us informed as there may be someone in your area willing to help with this project if needed.

David

Been there, done that! Tried the needle nose pliers bit, no dice, the baffle was to stiff to pull out, considered re-welding till it jammed somewhere where it didn't rattle, hasn't been a problem since. wouldn't worry about it if you do mostly long distance with little stop and go since that is the only time you hear it.

do think she's a tad more throaty with the collector baffle out/loose. Nothing serious