IGNORED

Leaking carbs

I bought my 2nd Venture a 2004 Midnight 9000 miles low low price repo. It sat, my guess 6-9 months. The day of purchase I drove it from D.C. to Kansas City on a wing and a prayer. I notice its gas mileage is below average ... about 33 mpg not 38-40 like my old 99. Runs fairly good but the carbs on the left leaked when stopped.

Get it home and start seafoam, no good. I know the floats are sticking. I sync the carbs which were way off, smoother but not by much, still krappy MPG.

I aint up to a carb rebuild, so I take it to the shop, and shop rejets, the jets were green with corrosion, but he puts in the next larger pilot jet....which I didn't want. He said the floats were not sticking. The bike now backfires like popcorn. He readjusts the settings and the bike runs great, not as fast as the 99, but very good. Backfire constantly. I tighten all the exhaust bolts I can, the bottom front bolts are impossible with removing a pack of stuff. Backfire much better now. Gas milege sucks!!! 28 MPG. Back again to mechanic he says he changed the pilot back to stock. The next day the carb is leaking on the left side ahhggggg!!!!

Back again to the mechanic, each visit of course costs more, up to 3 bills now. So now he is replacing the float needles, I wish I worked on this higher level stuff and had more knowledge. The mechanic's a great guy but these repeat trips are the norm not the exception in my experience. The worst part is I may get it back less than right again.

The guy is an independent, the local Yamaha dealer's service is so horribly bad it makes this guy look highly competent in comparison. The Honda dealer has teenagers for mechanics, so you can guess how they do. :starz:

If I had a Harley I would have many good service options available around here, but they shun metric.

Opinions please

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/wtf-pics-tiger-man.jpg

Yamaha certified mechanic on break in St Joseph Mo

Edited by qdude

Your problems should be easily fixed - sorry your mechanic is such an incompetent shyster. You may think he is a great guy, but anyone who repeatedly charges for the same work is just an thief in my book. And it is unbelievably worse when he never gets it right and STILL steals your money! Good luck finding somebody better.

Goose

(If you want to ride it down here, I'll do my best to help you out.)

Maybe someone close to you will chime in, but in the meantime get yourself a service manual, and stockup on some juvenile, and adult beverages. I am sure someone in your area has done a carb clean and adjust and will be willing to help you do it. I only wish you were closer to me, its not that difficult a job. Every once in a while I see complete carb setups on ebay for $150 or less ready to install. If I were more enterprising I would buy a set, overhaul them and to an exchange program, but since retirement I can't seem to commit to anything but grandchildren.