IGNORED

M&M headset / lower issue?

BigBear

It seems like the connection between my J&M headset and the lower cable (cable-to-headset) is misbehaving. :bang head:

If I just let the cable hang from the helmet, tunes work fine, but the intercomm is very intermittent.

If I tuck the cable inside of my jacket, it seems to relieve the tension from the connectors, and every thing work fine.

What kinds of ingenious ways have you all come up with to insure that the connections stay solid?

ALmost seems like I should be able to replace the connectors with some type of twist-lock connector...I'm even considering a hook&loop (velcro) fix..

Edited by BigBear
misspelled "J&M" (M&M)

I have the same problem, but sadly, no real solution. I plan to simply cut out the plug(s) and solder it all up solid with six inches or so of cord added, but I haven't even come close to getting around to it yet.

It's funny, in that not really funny sort of way. The old J&Ms had a problem plug at the helmet. For several years I had to double check Irene's helmet plug every time we got on the bike. Now I find that the new J&Ms I got have an infuriating intermittent connection problem with the plug in the cord (I think). It got so bad on our trip to Arkansas for the Int'l that I wound up cracking part of the plug while messing with it trying to get it to work. I even had to replace my cord on the bike over this.

The worst part is I don't really know if it's the cord. Might be the headsets themselves. I don't have enough parts to test it.

I find myself wondering how Edsets are. It doesn't seem like they could be any worse.

I wrote an email to J&M yesterday, explaining the problem. I told them that I'd broken the plug messing with it trying to get it to work, and as such did not feel I could send it back "intact" and ask for a warranty replacement. I just wanted to know what I should tell my friends on VentureRider.org about this problem since it's also happened to someone else.

The response was amazingly fast, particularly considering it all took place on a Sunday evening.

The response was: Send the offending parts back, we'll correct the problem.

I have to lighten up and give them a chance. The headsets themselves have been fine. No real complaints there. If we get this sorted out I won't really have any complaints. Any manufacturing process can yield something that's not quite right. So, at this point patience seems called for.

BigBear, send 'em an email explaining the problem. Benefit of the doubt and all that.

Bummer:

Definitely keep us posted. I too am having a similar issue - I had just figured that I did not push the plug in all the way, but I was messing with it last night and found that even with it fully in there seems to be some sort of problem. So, what I'm interested in is if they replace it come up with a fix, etc.

Thanks a lot!

Good luck with yours :)

I sent the email to audio@jmcorp.com. The response was from John Lazzeroni, J&M Corporation President.

I plan to send the cords off tomorrow in a USPS box. I'll let everyone know when I get something back and what the overall results are. I was always pretty satisfied with 'em before this, but reading their warranty limitations put me off. If they're willing to do right by the situation I'll be more than happy to go back to being satisfied.

LilBeaver, mine started out not inserting fully, and falling apart. I finally got it fully mashed together so that it'd stay, but it still had the intermittent operation problem (mic and right earphone). The odd part is that after a few miles it starts working, but if I turn my head it cuts back out again and takes a few miles to start working again. Just the sort of thing to drive a guy crazy.