IGNORED

Why not a Sixth gear for over drive?

starkruzen

This post makes me wonder if the spark advance for the 2nd gens is right? The only good reason to have to use high test gasoline is if one has a higher compression engine than the 2nd gens have.

There is little difference in energy content of regular versus premium gasoline. They both contain about 111,400 British Thermal Units of energy per gallon. Octane is defined as a fuel's resistance to knocking. There is no benefit if the octane is higher than what the engine needs. Engine knock occurs when fuel in a combustion chamber ignites before it should.

http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/transportation/consumer_tips/regular_vs_premium.html

Has anyone with a Dyna3000 played with the high speed spark advance vs gas mileage?

I don't know but I have figured it several times, and riding back and forth to work, if I fill up with reg I will go 160 to 165 miles to res. 4.5 to 4.6 gallons. I have 52 miles round trip. so on the 4 day I fill up.

With prem its 180 to 185 miles before it hits res. I tried this alternating reg to prem for several tanks, with the same results every time.

Gregg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tx2sturgis
Like bore and stroke. :)

Expect to see more of this. Just read about the Aprilia Mana 850 GT with a 7 speed! tranny that can be operated as a auto or a manual.

It's more about the design of engines today and how they have to respond to ever more stringent emission requirements. A smaller bore, higher RPM engine is better at controlling emissions. Transmissions with more gears are going to be required to keep the engines within an acceptable operating range both for emissions and driver's needs.

Don't V-twins have fairly low piston speeds? :scratchchin:

Thats the idea if its geared correctly, and a six speed will help to keep the piston speeds lower.

The fluid dynamics of a 'typical' object moving through air at STP specifies that the resistance is proportional to the square above ~88 feet per second (~55 mi/hr). It is relatively linear up to that point though. This is the typical approximation made for a 'standard' automobile. For a bike like the RSV (or even the 1st gen) - where the windshield and fairing make a relatively smooth surface for the air to pass over and around, this approximation still holds as good.

Goose, qualitatively you ARE correct. Nuff said. :thumbsup2:

---

I do not know that the aerodynamic comparison between the Ultra Classic and the RSV is the main culpret though. I suspect it is certainly a mixture of the aerodynamics as well as the gearing, etc.

Anways, I'll quit yammering now...

If I had any clue what you just said, I might join in the conversation. I just ride and put gas in the tank when it gets low. I have a headache now.

I've always considered those to be the absolutely lowest point you can shift at and not just destroy the poor thing on the spot. I would absolutely never dream of shifting into fifth at 31mph. I love my bike way too much for that foolishness. I don't really like to hit fifth until I'm on the Interstate passing people.

What he said! Mine bucks and generally doesn't like FIFTH at much under 65... Yeah, you CAN shift at very low speeds, but why? She'll shake, rattle and roll 'till you get her up to crusing speed.....just wind her up a little don't even use 4th 'till your above 45 or so and you and the bike will be a lot happier!:farmer: