IGNORED

2005 RSTD - What Coolant do I use? So confused...

I just bought a used 2005 RSTD (which I absolutely love), and am now learning how to perform all of the maintenance myself (which I am really enjoying). However I'm at the point where I want to change (flush/fill) my radiator coolant, but do not know specifically which brand of coolant to use on the cycle? I hear Yamacool is very expensive, yet others I believe use a low Silicate or Silicate free fluid made for aluminum engines that you can buy at a Honda or Toyota Auto Dealership, and yet others use something called GO5? I am so confused....??? I live in Grand Rapids, MI and it does get very cold/freeze here, so I can't use products that do not have antifreeze in them like "Wetwetter" or whatever it's called? Please help as to what brand I should be using and any insights on how to efficiently change would be most gratefully appreciated! Thank you!

Respectfully, Jeff:fingers-crossed-emo

Edited by JSmith

I just bought a used 2005 RSTD (which I absolutely love), and am now learning how to perform all of the maintenance myself (which I am really enjoying). However I'm at the point where I want to change (flush/fill) my radiator coolant, but do not know specifically which brand of coolant to use on the cycle? I hear Yamacool is very expensive, yet others I believe use a low Silicate or Silicate free fluid made for aluminum engines that you can buy at a Honda or Toyota Auto Dealership, and yet others use something called GO5? I am so confused....??? I live in Grand Rapids, MI and it does get very cold/freeze here, so I can't use products that do not have antifreeze in them like "Wetwetter" or whatever it's called? Please help as to what brand I should be using and any insights on how to efficiently change would be most gratefully appreciated! Thank you!

Respectfully, Jeff:fingers-crossed-emo

I bought whatever they had at Autozone that was the old school green kind.

Jeff,

The Green stuff is fine, you dont need to put Dexcool in your bike. They come from the factory with regular green coolant. Do yourself a favor though, dont buy the 50/50 pre mixed because you are just throwing your money away. Buy it strait and mix it yourself, mfgrs are the only one making money on the 50/50 as it costs as much to buy as the full concentrate :2cents:

I agree with Squidley, the green stuff works fine. No need in sinking big money into coolant if you are planning on changing it every other year or so.

As far as an efficient way to change it. V7Goose wrote up a great tech article on this procedure. Search through the tech section and you should find it. It can be a little messy, but that is the best way to drain almost all of the coolant. Just plan on giving your bike a good bath afterwards.

BTW, welcome to the site! Make yourself at home.

Dave

here is a good article on coolants... Coolants

And one on a good reason WHY you want to change it... Electrolysis

Just remember, as long as you flush ALL of the old coolant out it doesn't matter much which type goes back in. And for an extra buck or two it's always better to use distilled water over tap water especially if you have hard water.

I learned my lesson on all these things a few years ago when I had to replace 3 heater cores in the same truck within 3 months.

I use Engine Ice,, because it is easy to use, premixed, and much more environmental safe than regular anti-freeze. Propylene Glycol instead of ethylene glycol. If you spill it on the cement and the dog licks it, propylene glycol won't kill him.

But you could mix virtually the same stuff for yourself by going 50/50 with Prestone LowTox and distilled water.