IGNORED

Garmin GPS with routes

BJB

Hi folks. Am looking at buying a garmin GPS unit but am not sure if I am comparing apples to oranges! The GPS Garmin I have now is a 265WT and I made a trip by saying 'Go to' (note that I am in Swift Current, Sask. Canada) to Jasper, Alberta, Canada. I then added North Battleford, Sask. Canada as a 'Via' route. However, by doing this the GPS wants to take me into North Battleford town (not necessary) and will not let me choose the route through Edmonton, Alberta.

I have created this trip with my choses routes through Edmonton and a little jog in the highway between Edmonton and Jasper. I made it at mapquest.com and here it is.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Swift+Current&1s=SK&1y=CA&1l=50.292759&1g=-107.800552&1v=CITY&2c=Jasper&2s=AB&2y=CA&2l=52.873638&2g=-118.082649&2v=CITY#b/maps/m:map:8:52.818052:-108.391253::::::1:1::::/l:::Swift+Current:SK::CA:50.292759:-107.800552:city::1:::/l::Provincial+Route+216+W;+Anthony+Henday+Dr+NW:::::53.456428:-113.344398:latlng::2:::/l::Provincial+Route+22:::::53.722831:-115.130195:latlng::2:::/l:::Jasper:AB::CA:52.873638:-118.082649:city::1:::/io:1:::::f:en_US:M::/bl:/e

Kinda long address isn't it. Could someone who has a Garmin GPS that can download routes do this on their machine and make sure that all the particular streets (in Edmonton) etc do come through? If it does, then I think I want a GPS that lets me download routes so I can plan my motorcycle trips all winter and then download them with all the correct turns etc rather than letting the GPS decide which highway etc to use.

Thanks guys and it sure will help me decide what GPS unit to buy.

I can't help you out with your question but if you look around on this site www.zumoforums.com you may find your answer. You may have to sign up to access the forums? I'm giving some serious thought on the Zumo 660....have till spring to decide...unless a good deal comes along on one!

Keith

Edited by KeithR

Thanks Keith. I would like a Zumo, but my wallet doesn't like them! Plan on buying some sort of Nuvi instead. However, that forum may have the answer providing the Nuvi and Zumo treat routes the same way.

Unfortunately the 265WT won't allow you to load routes (ie. choose you own route). It will either take you fastest or shortest. The work around is for you to add waypoints and change your route to connect the waypoints as your route. Kinda PIA way of doing things. You really need a GPS that can load routes and tracks where you have been for motorcycling. The 265WT is an excellent GPS when needing directions or how to get somewhere.

may I suggest: Dakota™ 10

Edited by aharbi

BJB,

I use the Harley Davidson route planner to build my routes, http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/Ride_Planner/Ride_Planner.jsp?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US

With the Garmin communicator installed on you computer the ride planner site has an option to download the route to your GPS. If you need the communicator program it can be downloaded from Garmin at the following link.

http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/

It works great with my Zumo. I know nothing about your unit but it should be easy enough to try it out.

When building a route you need to add enough waypoints to force the GPS to follow your planned route. If you just enter start and end points the GPS will take you the way it thinks is best. To get around that you just right click and add waypoints along the way at the turns you want to take and the gps will connect the dots.

DT

Mapquest uses the same 'garmin communication' software that the Harley one uses. So, if you go to the website I posted, you should be able to hit the 'send' button to your gps and it should load it as a route. I just want to see if the route comes through as i planned on mapquest. If so, then i will begin to look for a GPS that allows routes to be downloaded.

Thanks everyone.

Hi BArry

My Garmin Quest came with software to throw on my computer that lets me choose my route exactly, with via points, etc. I have never tried uploading from Mapquest but it looks very similar to the software i got from Garmin. Ive used mine extensively all over western Canada and the US in the SUV and on the scoot and it has only steered me slighly wrong once. ( but I do keep the maps updated) I bought my Quest from tigerdirect.ca for about 120 bux, and spent about another 50 on the harness and ram mount for the bike. Its waterproof and failry small so its easy to remove and carry when you leave the bike.

Brian

Mapquest uses the same 'garmin communication' software that the Harley one uses. So, if you go to the website I posted, you should be able to hit the 'send' button to your gps and it should load it as a route. I just want to see if the route comes through as i planned on mapquest. If so, then i will begin to look for a GPS that allows routes to be downloaded.

Thanks everyone.

I used the Garmin plug-in to send your route to my Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. I got two points in the route: the beginning and the end. There was a straight line between them.

However, even though I have the City Navigator NT North America 2009 maps, I don't have Canada loaded into the GPS. It's possible that the communicator balked because I didn't have the maps loaded. But if you added intermediate points, I would have thought they'd be passed along as well.

In short: no worky.

Dave

Thanks Dave..that is exactly what I wanted. Now if someone had city maps for North America, and a Nuvi 765 etc then I would be really happy with a result. Anyone??

Ok:

I have a 785T which is exactly the same as the 765T except for how it does traffic. I sent your mapquest route to my unit and it comes out exactly like it is in Mapquest. So the end result is that you can use Mapquest or Google Maps or the Garmin product MapSource and I'm guessing some other products as well to generate a route then upload it. I've always used the MapSource product from Garmin. I have in the past used Microsoft Streets and Trips which can also be imported into Garmin. I can also share those routes with anyone that has a route capable garmin.

Personally the route feature is the major reason I have a GPS for the bike.

BTW the 765T is a better deal than the 785T. Both are excellent but there is a fee for MSN Traffic (785T) and FM Traffice (765T) is free and the 765T is at least $50 cheaper.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne. Excellent! You are the man. Solved my all my questions. OK. Now just have to find a suitable Garmin :bang head: I definetely want to be able to download routes.

I am returning the Nuvi 265WT. I do not want the FM traffic nor bluetooth on the motorcycle, so that also eliminates the 755/765/785 type. I think I am leaning towards the Nuvi 550. Hopefully I can find it for a lower price than what I have been seeing the last week or two. Boxing Day Sale maybe?

Once again, thanks to all!

In reading thru the specs did anyone else notice that both the nüvi® 500 and 550 are waterproof? both do 10 routes and 500 waypoints. MegaGPS has them for $225 The specs are the same on the two units except the 500 also has the Topo maps. Hummm... I may of just found the replacement to my Quest 2 at less than 1/2 the price of a Zumo.

Well, as the originator of this thread I thought I had better report back. I did purchase another Garmin..a Nuvi 550. Screen is not as big as Nuvi 265WT, but brighter colors and I think easier to see in daylight. AND yes, you can download routes you have made on Mapquest to it. However, it is not all gravy and there are some problems.

I had hoped I could put in a route on Mapquest. For instance, Swift Current, Sask., Canada to Jasper, Alberta, Canada. Mapquest does this tickity boo. Then I clicked and dragged the colored route mapquest makes to go through the cities or roads i want to go. This is how I always do it and then print it out. HOWEVER, this will not download to the Garmin GPS. Imagine my surprise when I fired up the GPS to find it routed me through Calgary, Alberta.

So, the trick is this...you must put in waypoints to force it on the routes and roads/intersections you want to use. Rather a pain in the butt, and not as easy as I thought it would be. I almost sent the GPS back. I want to be able to pick my route anywhere, and via whatever route i want...especially riding a motorcycle. Yes my route (say through Edmonton, AB) is not the faster or shortest but it may be the safest i can make it. Garmin says this defeats the purpose of the GPS unit choosing routes for you; and I replied that if I was sure their maps were correct I might let it choose the route.

Just in our small city of 14,000 and 1 hour of driving around it has tried to send me on three roads across RR tracks, that aren't there. It also tries to sent me on an overpass from a road that does not access it. I noticed all the new areas of town are correct, and even some roads not completed are there, but roads that have NEVER been in existence should never be shown as a gps choice. If they are that bad here, what is it like for a country bumpkin like me to try and use it in Toronto, Seattle etc etc. Wow I can just imagine me looking at a highway or freeway etc from about 4 blocks away and no clue how to get on the dang thing. Oh yes, mine tried to send me down a one way the wrong way. However, this was after I had deliberately not taken the route it originally chose.

OK, venting turned off now. Feel better. Like a lot of people say, don't rely on the GPS alone and consult maps, use your eyes and brain.

Edited by BJB
spelling error

If they are that bad here, what is it like for a country bumpkin like me to try and use it in Toronto, Seattle etc etc. Wow I can just imagine me looking at a highway or freeway etc from about 4 blocks away and no clue how to get on the dang thing.

In my experience, the big cities have the best data. I think it is because there is LOTS of feedback when there are lots of drivers. There may have been NO feedback from your little city.

Also, as a GPS routing creator, I would look for whatever sources are available for streets. Big cities have been surveyed and plotted for decades. A small town may have never been surveyed digitally, so the map creator may have to be creative with what sources it uses.

A lot of early USA digital maps came from census maps that were not created with routing in mind. The creators may also have used old USGS maps... US Geological Survey maps. Those are essentially topo maps with features like radio towers called out. But they were old and farm lanes and such were added to the data as streets.

So, big cities have better data. Again, in my experience. If you are genuinely worried about getting to on-ramps in Toronto, I think you will be fine.

Make sure you update your maps if possible. My 2008 maps had our major ring road, but the routing was disconnected under an interchange. So, it would route you off the freeway, up another freeway, to a u-turn, then put you back on the original ring road. The later updates fixed that.

I hope you enjoy your new GPS!

Dave