IGNORED

Size matters

YYZ

Hi guys.

I'm reading that a 165/80 is the prefered size for our bikes. Is this because it is basically the same as the stock tire or will nothing wider fit? I like the unidirectional tread patters available on several 185/65 tires and it's only a 5% difference.

Has anyone ever tried a 175 or 185?

thanx

I had a 155/80 BF Goodrich T/A Radial on for about 28,000 miles and just recently changed to a 165/80 Kumho. ( I broke a belt in the BFG riding on Michigans roads, and could no longer run at highway speeds, so I opted for a new tire.)\

The 165 at 32psi just clears the drive shaft cover. I doubt if you'd be able to run anything bigger. It would fit in the space allowed, but the first time you hit a bump or hole, it would rub the shaft cover.

I kept a close eye on the new tire for the first 500 miles, and never saw any place where it looked like the tire rubbed the shaft cover....

In comparison....I really liked the BFG T/A Radial. I couldn't believe how well it handled...

Then I changed to the Kumho....WOW! I like it a lot more than the BFG.

It corners better and rides a bit smoother, especially at highway speeds.

I have had it out in cold wet weather and it handles it real well....stops good too.