IGNORED

questions about lowering the front end

atlm

I lowered the front end of my RSV yesterday. It took 7 hours, and I ended up calling a friend over half way through the project, since there were too many parts to hold and support and line up.

According to the post in VR tech, it should take 1 person 2 hours. Is there a secret I'm missing?

My biggest issue was dealing with all of the unbolted, but still attached, parts at once. Specifically, the rear part of the front fairing, the handlebars, and the passing lights. And more specifically, trying not to let all the parts get scratched and gouged while unattached. They were all flopping around and pulling on the cables. I finally unwired and removed the passing lights, and taped large car wash sponges to the sides of the handlebars. I already had towels over the gas tank and front fender, and rags around sharp parts, like the handlebar clamps and the studs for the 12mm bolts for the fairing.

How do you support the rear part of the front fairing while it's unbolted?? and what about the handlebars?

Another issue was the passing lights. I loosened the bolts almost all the way, and still couldn't clear the lights when splitting the fairing, so I ended up having to remove them, and balance them on the front fender. A bit later in the process, I got frustrated parts juggling and finally just unwired and removed them completely. Is that what's normally done?

:|

Sounds about right! But I suspended a length of conduit from the I-beam in the garage, above the bike, and wired each of these components with #12 THHN insulated wires, dangling from this conduit, and they held everything in place. Still wasn't perfect, but didn't have to disconnect anything. Just glad that you sucessfully got it accomplished and I'm sure you'll appreciate the lowered position - I know I sure do. Ride Safely!

A few hours after completing the job, a similar thought came to me - screwing angle iron with holes (like garage door opener supports) to the ceiling above the front of the bike, and suspending the parts with rope. If I ever have to take things apart again, now I know (from you) that should help.

I also can't get to the air valves anymore, since they're mostly behind the handlebars now. I run 0 psi front and rear, so it's not really important.

Hey, I used to spend a lot of time in Atlanta in the '50's. I was in the Air Force, stationed at Dobbins AFB in Marrietta,GA. I've always wondered if it was still there? Dated lots of girls in that area too! Good old days! Good Memories!

I bought a swing set when my kids were small, the directions said "some assembly required". I learned a valuable lesson from that. I lowered the front of my Venture, but a couple of my buddies came over and it went a lot easier. I can see where the time line would increase by a significant amount working alone.

!#$%^&!

I took it out for a test ride around town yesterday afternoon. Handled fine, feels lighter and more sensitive. Something looked off with the handlebars. Then I figured out they're just slightly twisted, maybe 2mm at the clamps. AAAAAAAAAAaaaaargh!

Also, the front brakes are really weak and kinda squishy at the lever, so I must have gotten air into the line somehow when the handlebars were being turned in all different directions. So I guess I get to take it all apart again this weekend to straighten things out, and then bleed the brakes.

:depressed:

I think when this is done, I'm going to put together more detailed instructions and ask for them to be added to the post in VR tech.