IGNORED

Another oil question

Jerry W

Not trying to stir the pot, just a questions about Mobile 1. I was considering changing over to Mobile 1 in by bike, however I read on a Mobile 1 container that it was "energy conserving". I have read many posts that said energy conserving oil was not good for the wet clutch in the Ventures. Am I missing something here?

I use Mobil 1 but I use their motorcycle specific version. I get mine at Autozone but I understand that some Walmarts have it also. My local Walmart does not.

I THINK that some of the auto versions are also non energy conserving. Look at some different weights such as 20W40 or something like that.

I have been an advocate of mobil for years, but recently I decided to compare the tech data on mobil against delo 400 15-40, what I have found in several points, delo is superior to mobil.

Changes mine to delo 15-40 and its seems to be quieter, and shift better, and delo is $12 for 4 quarts.

read my post Delo 15-40 in the watering hole

Gregg

LOL....another oil thread. I actually did read your post on the Delo but I've got to tell you...I'll stick with my Mobil 1 thank you. Even if I were to change, which I don't think I EVER will, it would be to another synthetic. I don't think you are getting Delo synthetic for that price. :)

As Don said, you have to look for different varieites. They have all sorts of options: Drive Clean 5000, High-mileage, fully synthetic, Extended performance, racing, motorcycle oil, etc.

I have found that most of the 'extended performance' ones have the 'energy conserving' thing on the back. It is hit or miss with many of the other varieties, but I am quite sure the fully synthetic 15W-50 does not have the energy conserving label on it. That is what I use in my wing. Here in Lubbock, some of the Wal-marts carry the motorcycle oil. Lucky for me, the one that I typically go to does :).

LOL....another oil thread. I actually did read your post on the Delo but I've got to tell you...I'll stick with my Mobil 1 thank you. Even if I were to change, which I don't think I EVER will, it would be to another synthetic. I don't think you are getting Delo synthetic for that price. :)

No its not syn, the syn is much higher, but looking at the performance data, its should protect as well as, or better than mobil in some cases, its like everything else, both have good points, both have bad, David Hanner a friend of mine builds and trades choppers, they have had some bad luck with mobil one in the air cooled engines.

They are now using royal purple with no problems.

We just had such good results at the fleet shop with the delo, pickups with 350,000+ miles on them, 5000 mile oil changes. running dirt roads under construction conditions.

After I run the delo for 5000 I may go back, will see what the oil anlysis results are at that time. should be some time in feb.

Gregg

If you're going to use a car oil, Mobil 1 15W-50 is the one you want. It is made for older cars with flat-tappet cams and has almost as much anti-wear additive as Mobil 1 Racing 4T (formerly MXT-4) motorcycle oil. The 10W-30's are all energy conserving, so no go. Most 10W-40's are not energy conserving but do not have much anti-wear. You want the anti-wear additives because your oil lubes the transmission gears.

I have a 1992 GMC Typhoon with 120,000 miles and have only used M/1. I have not had any engine work done ...ever. BUT my bike repair guy likes Lucas oil for bikes so that is what I use. M/1 is also in my Porsche Boxster "S" AND my John Deer riding mower.

Cb