IGNORED

Houston tire mounting options?

Dave77459

I realized today that I didn't want to ride to Big Bend on the cheapy emergency tire I got on my last trip. Doh! I ordered a tire that should arrive Thursday. What are my mounting options?

I want to do the Texas Honor Ride this Saturday. Are there any weeknight options that can get it done between now and this next Thursday, when we leave for Tom's and Big Bend?

Maybe I should buy the Harbor Freight setup and do it myself? Can I take it to an auto tire shop and have them do it?

Or do I miss the THR so I can have a motorcycle place do it Saturday? :(

Dave

What tire did you buy?

I make a good go-fer, I can help.

You could also call the local bike shops. I know the dealer I use has not been busy at all.

I ended up getting a Dunlop Elite 3 from Dennis Kirk. Hard to beat with the free shipping.

Dave, you can bring it out to the house and we can get it done if you want, its not that big of deal, greese your splines while you have it tore down..

Let me know..

Kreg

We can do it by hand. I'll help. Wee can meet atr my house or Kbay's. Or if you want call Global Cycles. He mounts tires for $20.00 (off the bike) if you buy from him. Ed will do it on the bike too, dunno how much though. http://www.globalcycles.com/

He's always pretty close to what you would pay at SW Moto tire or Dennis Kirk.

I very much appreciate the offers. Honestly, I would prefer to do it at a house if possible. The last time I know my splines were greased was 20K ago up at V7Goose's. Is it the sort of thing we can do in an evening? LOL, I suppose so, since a dealer can do it in an hour.

I've seen the take-off procedure twice, but I'm not entirely comfortable with it. This last time was at that shop in Mena, and there was too much hammering for my liking. I'd like to see it done proper.

My tire is being delivered Thursday. I'd like to do the Honor Ride Saturday, but I could be back by mid-afternoon. Sunday I need to run up to College Station on a matter, and that's pretty firm. So if I need to skip Saturday, I will, or any evening.

Name your time, and I'm grateful.

Dave

Hey can we come and watch you guys work

:whistling:

Heck, Squid, if you're there, we'll watch you! :banana: Just bring some tire irons. We have a real neat work table mounted on the back of a Harley we can use. :rotf:

That will work for me, I s`pose we can do it where ever he is closest too.. makes no difference to me, just let me know... if Squid comes we can watch him work!!!:duck:

Kreg, bring your balancer.

It's up to Dave now. Where ya wanna do it?

Dave.... Let us know if Thursday evening will work for you. Ponch, I`ll bring the balancer and a set of tire Irons.... Man I just love tearing apart other folks bikes!!!:smile5:

Heck, Squid, if you're there, we'll watch you! :banana: Just bring some tire irons. We have a real neat work table mounted on the back of a Harley we can use. :rotf:

Kreg, bring your balancer.

It's up to Dave now. Where ya wanna do it?

That's what I love about this site. One person asks a question and the next thing you know he has an answer, a place to work on the bike and four or five people to help do the work. Don should really be happy for what this site has turned into.

Chuckles

You guys are awesomesauce! I really appreciate it, so much. Chuckles is so right.

I live in Sugar Land... not sure where y'all live. If you want to decide and send me an address / GPS coords, I'll be there Thursday evening... assuming Mr. UPS delivers on time. I'll reply here when tracking says it arrived so we'll all know.

I can also host, if you want, but I don't have an axle wrench or tire-changing supplies. I am willing to get both if you tell me what to get. I have a Harbor Freight 10 minutes away. The advantage of hosting is that I don't have to carry the tire, and I can also feed you. (The wife says the advantage is that it will force me to clean the garage) But I know there might be special equipment y'all might have (tire changer?).

What supplies do you want me to bring / have? Grease for the splines?

I've been keeping my decent old tires for the day when I could offer roadside assistance. I assume the one I am I changing out will do in a pinch. I also have a reasonable Avon front and a reasonable Avon rear. I'm planning on riding over, but if you guys want one of those I can bring it. If you aren't keeping spares, I'll take my tire with me. :)

Appreciatively,

Dave

I dont have any tire irons, you'll have to bring yours. I have seen that SOLID H/D table, man those things are like a ROCK!

I'm up for a meet at Dave's since he would have to lug the tire on his bike to one of our places. Kbay has tire irons.

Plus I'm all over getting fed! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

I'll bring grease, torque wrench, etc. Kreg bring irons & balancer. Dave, do you have jack stands or something we can set the tire between to balance?

Sounds good, Dave, do you have a Jack / lift ??? Ponch, if you want to give me a hollar Thursday, I can leave from work when ever you are headed that way, and we can ride over together...

Kreg

I'm up for a meet at Dave's since he would have to lug the tire on his bike to one of our places. Kbay has tire irons.

I'll bring grease, torque wrench, etc. Kreg bring irons & balancer. Dave, do you have jack stands or something we can set the tire between to balance?

Sounds good, Dave, do you have a Jack / lift ??? Ponch, if you want to give me a hollar Thursday, I can leave from work when ever you are headed that way, and we can ride over together...

Kreg

I can bring a jack if Dave doesn't have one.

Kreg, tell me where to meet you and we'll see you there.

Now we just need Dave's address and a time to meet. Owen, I don't know what time you can join us. Kreg and I will probably meet about 3 ish.

Kreg

I have a Carbon_One adapter with legs. I'll have it on the stand with legs, and if we have to lift higher, we can. I'll have the saddle bags off, and the right muffler. Do we need the left muffler off as well?

I don't have jack stands, but I can get some. These OK?

What else? What size axle wrench... or if someone can bring one, I'll buy it for the next time. I have a compressor, but it's a smaller pancake compressor. Will it do? Tire valve tool?

Most importantly, is pizza OK?

Dave

PS - I'm sending address details to Ponch, Kbay, and Squidley. If anyone else wants that info, just ask.

I have a Carbon_One adapter with legs. I'll have it on the stand with legs, and if we have to lift higher, we can. I'll have the saddle bags off, and the right muffler. Do we need the left muffler off as well?

I don't have jack stands, but I can get some. These OK?

What else? What size axle wrench... or if someone can bring one, I'll buy it for the next time. I have a compressor, but it's a smaller pancake compressor. Will it do? Tire valve tool?

Most importantly, is pizza OK?

Dave

PS - I'm sending address details to Ponch, Kbay, and Squidley. If anyone else wants that info, just ask.

Those jack stands are fine, but I can bring mine if you don't want to buy them.

Removal of the left muffler is necessary to torque the axle nut. Some don't torque it. It's your call. Pancake compressor is fine. I have everything else.

Those jack stands are fine, but I can bring mine if you don't want to buy them.

Removal of the left muffler is necessary to torque the axle nut. Some don't torque it. It's your call. Pancake compressor is fine. I have everything else.

I've wanted jack stands for a while, so I'll go ahead and get them while I have a reason to. :) I don't have a rod to stretch between the stands, but I hope the axle will work.

I'll have both mufflers off.

Dave

Ponch and Kreg,

I have the wagon and I can load it up with tools if needed and you can ride the scoots down. Let me know and we'll make it happen, just think, a mini M&E....and on a school night :sign woo hoo: :banana:

OK, a plurality has said that 6:15+ is good. So, it's then!

I must admit, that it feels fun and naughty to get bike work done on a week night. :thumbsup:

Dave