IGNORED

Got Old Albums or Tapes You Want on CD?

V7Goose

If you have a collection of old vinyl or tapes that you really wish you had available on CD, MP3, etc., I might be able to help. I started converting all my old stuff several years ago, but gave it up because it is just so danged time consuming! After all, you have to play every album in real time and capture the wave file, then take the time to clean it up and label tracks before finally saving the new files or burning a CD. But the cost of replacing hundreds and hundreds of albums is pretty daunting too!

Anyway, I'm finally back at that project now that I have more time available, and I have picked up some new software that makes the job a bit easier. So I thought I'd make this offer to anyone out there that might not have the time or inclination to tackle it themselves.

I'll convert LPs, cassettes, or 7" open reels to CD and/or any other format for about a buck an album. That would include the labeled CD, jewel case with front and back covers and album art where available. I'll do any genre of music, with ONE exception - I will NOT be within hearing range of rap/hip-hop "stuff", so none of that can be played in this house!!!!

I have dolby available for my open reel deck, and I can expand the dynamic range on any format to more closely approach the 90db typical of live music and digital recordings (tapes and LP are often constrained around 60 or 70db due to limitations of the technology). I can clean up pops and crackle in vinyl albums, but there is a limit to what can be done. If the albums are in really rough shape, the sound quality may suffer, or I might have to ask for a little more - that work is REALLY time consuming unless I just let the software do what it wants and accept the results as-is. If I already have a copy of any particular album, you'll get the best copy available, even if it is not from your source. Let me know if you are interested.

Goose

BTW - this is NOT a money-maker for me, since it takes a minimum of an hour to do one album, and usually 2 - 3 hours each! I'm only offering this to my friends here, and all I want to do is cover my cost of blank discs, jewel cases, printing labels, and stuff like that.

Edited by V7Goose

Goose,

Can you copy a DVD into a CD?

and...while doing so, are you able to stop at a certain point on the DVD and then fast forward to another section, to eliminate a certain part of the DVD that I do not want on it?

If so, I am very much interested.........

Goose,

Can you copy a DVD into a CD?

and...while doing so, are you able to stop at a certain point on the DVD and then fast forward to another section, to eliminate a certain part of the DVD that I do not want on it?

If so, I am very much interested.........

Yes, I can do all that, with a couple of obvious limitations - since CDs are so much smaller, a DVD usually will not fit unless the format is changed to greatly reduce the bit rate (and quality). So the details depend on the format of the source (audio, video, bit rate, etc.), how much of it there is, and what format you want for the output.

I can also burn DVDs, either for large audio collections or copying video from multiple sources (including VHS tapes).

You can give me a call and we can talk about it, or just mail me the disk and I'll take a look. If you are going to mail any media, make sure to ask for the "book rate" at the post office - they won't (can't) offer it to you unless you ask, but it is WAY cheaper!

Goose

Goose... you seem to be the guy "in the know" to ask this question...

When we rent DVD movies, we always have to crank the volume WAAYYYYY up on the TV to hear them properly. Any idea why it's like this or what I can do about it?

Your DVD player probably has a volume adjustment in the setup screens. Also, make sure it is set to output PCM audio unless you are sure that your TV (or whatever device to which you have the player connected) can use a pure digital audio stream. When in doubt, PCM will always work.

Goose

Your DVD player probably has a volume adjustment in the setup screens. Also, make sure it is set to output PCM audio unless you are sure that your TV (or whatever device to which you have the player connected) can use a pure digital audio stream. When in doubt, PCM will always work.

Goose

thanks M8T ... I'll check into that tonight.

Another slight possibility would be that your TV only has stereo speakers and you are trying to send dolby encoded multi-channel sound where the voice and the majority of the other sounds on the disc are aimed for the non-existent center speaker!

You can send me the model numbers of your player and whatever it is connected to and I'll try to research it and let you know exactly how it should be set up.

Goose

Goose,

I have several hundred VHS tapes, most childrens movies from when the kids where small, I bought a DVD Burner / VHS plater combo, thinking I could burn the movies to disk, to save them for the grandkids and take up less room... well it will not let me do it, I was s`prized that even the old tapes have Copy Right protection and will not let me burn them to a disk.... any trick to this or am I just out of luck??

Thanks,

Kreg

Goose,

I have several hundred VHS tapes, most childrens movies from when the kids where small, I bought a DVD Burner / VHS plater combo, thinking I could burn the movies to disk, to save them for the grandkids and take up less room... well it will not let me do it, I was s`prized that even the old tapes have Copy Right protection and will not let me burn them to a disk.... any trick to this or am I just out of luck??

Thanks,

Kreg

There are devices that strip the copy protection signal off the video stream, but most are not sold in US - have to order off the Internet. The one I use is Dimax, from a company in Isreal (Xdimax.com).

Those devices will not work with a combo unit like yours - you will need a separate DVD recorder. That is because the video signal must be passed out of one unit to be cleaned and then fed back into the recorder.

Goose