IGNORED

Squeak coming from front wheel, have a few questions

LilBeaver

I would like a little help diagnosing this sound and determining if I need to do something about it.

I first noticed a squeak that seemed to go with wheel rotation at very low speeds a few days ago.

I put the bike up on a lift, pulled off the calipers and spin the front wheel. What I find is that the wheel spins more freely than the back one and makes no noise unless I spin it very very slowly. Then there is a little squeak/groan sometimes (no grinding, just a squeak) - but it does not occur at the same wheel orientation every time it happens. I hope this is a reasonable enough description... :confused24:

My question is is this a sign that the front wheel bearings are going? Is there a better way to check the bearings? If it is not the bearings what else could it be?

Oh yea; I've read through everything I could find under front wheel squeak, front wheel bearings, wheel bearings, etc. and nothing described what I am experiencing. My apologies if this is something that has been discussed before...

Thanks a lot for your help.

- Rick

Edited by LilBeaver
Modified title

I wouldn't think it's the bearing unless you get some movement when you take the wheel with both hands and try to rock. Also bearings spin and therefore squeak would occur at intervals but not in same place....It really sounds like your brake.

Okay, thanks all. I think I might just worry too much about every little noise and such. Here is what I did; I shot some lithium grease around the axle bolt (as shown), spun the wheel, then cleaned up the excess and the noise is gone. So maybe the oil seals are dead or something; I don't really know how those are setup so :confused24:...

I think I would remove one caliper, check for the squeak, then the other. Maybe its just brake drag?? :confused24:

Ponch: I took off the pads and moved the calipers out of the way to allow the wheel to spin freely. What I found was that the brake pads drag quite a bit when they are on there - at least they make a lot of noise... But the squeak was there until I lubed it.

The rear one won't spin very well because of the shaft drive.

Forrest: Yup, I was trying to give some perspective on how easy it was to spin the wheel. The front one is pretty much effortless, where the rear is easy, but there is a little drag due to the shaft. Thanks :happy34:

I wouldn't think it's the bearing unless you get some movement when you take the wheel with both hands and try to rock. Also bearings spin and therefore squeak would occur at intervals but not in same place....It really sounds like your brake.

Took wheel with both hands and really tried to move it and there was no motion what so ever. The way the bearings roll inside the race (I think that is what it is called) is why I had thought bearings initially but greasing the outside made the noise go away so with that and the fact that the wheel does not budge any way that it isn't supposed to makes me think that the bearings are okay too.

I am positive it is not the brakes since I pulled them completely off the wheel and it made the noise upon very slow rotation.

Anyhoo,

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I'll keep my ear out while I am out the next few times, but I think it is okay (and not the wheel bearings).

Thanks again,

- Rick

It may have been where the rubber seal is rubbing on the axle spacer and it was very dry. But, I would suggest that sometime in the future that you remove the wheel and replaced the bearings. It is not a big deal and gives better piece of mind.

RandyA

:sign yeah that:

It may have been where the rubber seal is rubbing on the axle spacer and it was very dry. But, I would suggest that sometime in the future that you remove the wheel and replaced the bearings. It is not a big deal and gives better piece of mind.

RandyA

I think I will (replace bearings & seals/whatever they are called) since the process seems pretty straight forward and the parts seem pretty inexpensive (not to mention a failed bearing at 70 mph could be an adventure I would like to skip :yikes:). I've done this dozens of times on cars and trucks (I know it is a little different), but never on a bike. These things On top of all of this, I have some time off comin' up...

Bearings and possibly a caliper rebuild...

Thanks guys :thumbsup2: :You_Rock_Emoticon: