IGNORED

TCI - testing info

Hi

I've compiled some information which may be usefull for anyone who is having problems with their 1st gen venture This will help you to check out the Ignition coils and pickup coils without digging them out to confirm they are within specs.

Feedback is welcome (good or bad)

DonB

ps If anyone wants a larger jpg then shoot me an email donb@mnsi.net

:cool10:

OK, I dug out the information from the electrical schematic for the XVZ12TK.

All the info is there it's just a matter of following the wiring and then testing it out on the bike.

Freebird.

I can send you the bigger file if it will help in looking at it. Reason I say this is cuz when I look at the picture I sent in it doesn't show up too well.

Regards

db

Great info DonB. I've got intermittent spark on #3 cyl. Checked out all the basic stuff in the ignition system. Everything seems to be within specs except the pickup coil terminals. I get 110 ohms on 1 and 230 ohms on the 3 others. I'm wondering if this is the problem. The TCI of course is my last resort.

Laxman

Make sure you are checking across the correct pins because it sounds as if you are reading across 2 coils to give you double the resistance reading. As an example, if you test across the White/Red stripe and the Black wires you will be reading across 2 coils and also if you take a reading across White/Red stripe and White/Green stripe you also get 220 ohms. You'll also get 220 ohms across the Black and Gray wiring pins.

Now the color coding I give is for a XVZ12TK Venture and I'm not sure what bike you have but be careful where you take the readings.

Hope this helps.

Regards

db

Thanks for the tip DonB. I rechecked the harness again. Followed your tip and likewise the owners manual instruction. A definite 220 ohm. :confused24: Perhaps a short in the wirings? I"ll have to trace the wires from the terminal all the way to the pickup coils to confirm this.