IGNORED

Spark Plug troubles...

and last, but not the last i will ask you...i just bought new plug caps with wires from a joint called cedar grove motors llc in WI. ngk caps with copper core wires and 5 ohms resistance built into the caps (look real nice, @40 $ ) so do i run resistance plugs or get the non resistance ones. i have stripped all of my radio/cb/tape /electronic what not so do not care about noise or etc.

if they are 5 ohm, then it's fine to use resistor plugs. if they are 5K ohm then I personally would not run with resistor plugs.

non-resistor plugs are a major pain to get a-hold of. and you cant trust the locat parts stores to have them. I have yet to have a counter guy hand me real non resistor plugs but a cross refrence that would fit but have resistors.

It is also fine to run with both, most guys riding out there do run with both because of the pain it is to get non-resistor plugs.

the longer spark is just a side effect, a longer spark is "quieter" as far as electrical interference goes.

also, the RFI/EMI issue. I dont get any radio noise in my bike and I have non-resistor plugs and the stock caps with resistors. 5K ohms is enough to wipe out the noise well on our bikes. now if you had a nice sensitive fuel injector 1 inch away from that spark plug, now you need more resistance to further get rid of that noise. Fuel injectors act like antennas to feed ignition interference back into the ignition computer. so Fuel injected bikes and cars have a higher resistance total to further reduce RFI/EMI. But they also dont have 25 year old low power coils either.

if they are 5 ohm, then it's fine to use resistor plugs. if they are 5K ohm then I personally would not run with resistor plugs.

non-resistor plugs are a major pain to get a-hold of. and you cant trust the locat parts stores to have them. I have yet to have a counter guy hand me real non resistor plugs but a cross refrence that would fit but have resistors.

It is also fine to run with both, most guys riding out there do run with both because of the pain it is to get non-resistor plugs.

the longer spark is just a side effect, a longer spark is "quieter" as far as electrical interference goes.

also, the RFI/EMI issue. I dont get any radio noise in my bike and I have non-resistor plugs and the stock caps with resistors. 5K ohms is enough to wipe out the noise well on our bikes. now if you had a nice sensitive fuel injector 1 inch away from that spark plug, now you need more resistance to further get rid of that noise. Fuel injectors act like antennas to feed ignition interference back into the ignition computer. so Fuel injected bikes and cars have a higher resistance total to further reduce RFI/EMI. But they also dont have 25 year old low power coils either.

Is there a good substitute for the coils? Ive seen Dyna had a set but they are very hard to find.

Well, I removed the resistors from the plug caps, and cut a piece of 8 gauge copper wire to take their place. The bike starts sooo much better now.

I still have the popping/surging though, and after troubleshooting everything else, I have about determined it's the pickup coils. Some read twice what they're supposed to.

Resistor plugs with copper wire inserts in the caps=win!

This fall I had a bad spark plug cap go bad and to get me back on the road I removed the stock resistor cap and replace it with this. It requires that you have the screw on terminal end on the spark plug.

http://partimages.genpt.com/partimages/43993.jpg

http://partimages.genpt.com/partimages/44002.jpg

My local NAPA store stocks them. Thinking about replacing all of them to ditch the resistors.

I'm surprised somebody hasn't recommended Sea Foam and a carb sync. That seems to be the cure all here for everything from flat tires to a dirty windshield. Bike won't start, sync the carbs, back fires, sync the carbs. Got a miss at 140 mph, put some Sea Foam in it and sync the carbs. LOL:hurts:

Oz.....Just had to tell you, I had a good laugh on your anology of carb syncs and seafoam....That was funny but oh so true

• 2 years later...