IGNORED

Need Help Finding A Thread

elmicko

Ok, I'll admit I'm not the brightest bulb on the Christmas Tree at times, but I've searched and I'm coming up with nothing.

Can someone please post a link to the thread that explains how to run the extra ground from the starter to the frame on a 1st generation. I've got an 86 VR and I'm trying to take care of some issues. Also if there are any pics on running new battery cables, I need some help with that too.

Thanks, I appreciate any help I can get.

Mick

Don't know if there is a thread for that, I don't remember seeing one or reading about it. But to address your problem, you need to run a ground cable from the grounding spot at the end of the battery ground cable, which is attached to the engine at the right front corner, just above the water pump, then attach it somewhere onto the frame. Just above that spot is a bolt that holds the engine onto the frame, so you can undo that one and fasten it there. That was easy.

To run new battery cables, you get the new ones first and then you can pull the new ones in place by attaching them to the old ones as you pull the old out,,, more or less. That's a little harder.

Hope this helps.

carl

Try this link

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27575&highlight=starter+ground

and this

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showpost.php?p=245886&postcount=4]VentureRider.Org - View Single Post - NAPA Thermostat, Starter refurb[/ame]

I believe the second one will lead you to where you want to go. What you're looking for is an INTERNAL starter ground. Click on the link on this page to take you to a VMax page. When on this page, look down the left side banner to Starter Problems. Remember, this guy is Dutch, so put your thinking cap on!

Good luck

BTW search parameters were "1st gen starter ground", the actual post was towards the bottom "Starter drag even after battery cable upgrade"

Edited by Dano