IGNORED

painting my bike

minnmac

This winter i,m going to repaint my bike. Well, not me, but someone who knows what they,re doing. Anyway, i want it original color and that was easy enough to find. Looking at order form however i realized i have no clue how much paint it takes to paint a bike. Ihave a two tone 03 and with prices from $82 for a 1/2pint to 190 for a quart i figured i better get a rough idea how much of each i need. thanks guys[and gals] al

I used a little over a quart of the orange base color and about 3/4 of a quart on the flame color and a pint on the gold pinstripe around the flames and about a third of a pint on the black drop shadow. I also used about three quarters of a gallon of clearcoat. I had a little over $600 in materials and I buy my paint wholesale, if I had paid retail I would have had $1000 just into materials and over 100 hours. I think I would need $2500 to do that paintjob again as it was time consuming. But there isnt another one like it anywhere. If you are going to spend that kind of money make sure it is something you like and be different as everyone has a two tone something or other:080402gudl_prv:

I thought about painting mine for a while but the warden used my brush and didn't clean it!!!

Well Dan, don't you have a good 2" trim roller around there?

Dan that was funny! Not at all helpful, but funny.

Yama Mama:crackup:

Is this helpfull enuff for ya Peg?

If the guy is a good painter he should know about what you need Al. At least thats what I think...

+1 to this

Also, if he works at a body shop, he may have access to the paints anyways and you may be able to work something out with the owner to just use what they've got.

I used a DuPont system and there were two levels of paint. A single stage polyeurethane paint and Base/Clear.

The base/clear used less color but in either case to paint all of your parts and such I would estimate only needing 4-8oz of each color.

Again, different paint systems mix differently and you ought to talk to the painter about it.

Hello

i panted the bumble bee my self i went two tone black and yellow the yellow took a lot of paint to cover the black i used 1qt the yellow two qts and clear coat 2 qts but had plant of clear left i used dupont cromma premear and 72500 clear and you will need a sealer and actovator for the both the clear and base coat

bumble bee

kevin wisor

1999 rsv

jax fl

Edited by kwisor

thanks for the input. i was planning on buying the materials but i think now i should just find a good paint man and tell him what i want and let him do his thing.

If you are planning on paying someone to do it anyways this is wise. It'll probably end up being cheaper for the materials that way anyway. But even if it ends up being more expensive for the materials, you'll be guaranteed that the painter will know and be comfortable with the materials and you won't have to worry about that aspect of the job.

:thumbsup2:

Just ment to joke Mama:rotfl:

I have thought of painting mine. Went so far as to buy Gravity gun and regular gun. Need book on painting and paints first I think. Only thing I know about paint is Wall-Mart sells it in Gallons!! Don't think I'll give Paul any compition but may change color of that Beast.