IGNORED

grips

bdyohecomcast.net

• 3 weeks later...

I am also looking to replace my stock grips. I do not like the Kuryakyn one's either. What are our options? Do we need to keep the weights? Do other aftermarket ones come with weights? Aside from the universal throttle cramp busters, do any of the aftermarket grips with or without weights accommodate some sort of throttle rest? Please share your wisdom!

You have a couple of options to get the stockers off.

Option one, simply just take the weights off and slice the left grip length wise then peel it off the bar. The throttle is a little trickier. For that you need to put all of the slack in the throttle cables then take apart the switch housing and pop the cables off the sleeve, the sleeve will slip right off.

Option two, if you want save the stocker on the left, use compressed air and a slender air nozzle to force air between the grip and the bar, use a screw driver to help get the nozzle in there. Then work the nozzle around to fully break the glue loose, when the glue is released, keep blowing air under the grip while you slide it off the bar.

Make sure you clean all of the old glue off the bar before putting the new grips on.

You have a couple of options to get the stockers off.

Option one, simply just take the weights off and slice the left grip length wise then peel it off the bar. The throttle is a little trickier. For that you need to put all of the slack in the throttle cables then take apart the switch housing and pop the cables off the sleeve, the sleeve will slip right off.

Option two, if you want save the stocker on the left, use compressed air and a slender air nozzle to force air between the grip and the bar, use a screw driver to help get the nozzle in there. Then work the nozzle around to fully break the glue loose, when the glue is released, keep blowing air under the grip while you slide it off the bar.

Make sure you clean all of the old glue off the bar before putting the new grips on.

Sorry to be a PIA but how do you get the weights off.

I took the plunge and ordered the Show Chrome with the wrist rest, I got the ones that allows me to use the weights that come with our bike - hopefully. As soon as they arrive and I install them on my '99 RSV, I will post here and let everyone know if I liked them.

• 1 year later...

I just installed Avon Grips w/boss on my 05RSV and I love them. I had the K's on my last two bikes and they were ok, but they can still get slippery in the rain.

I rode about 200 miles in the rain this weekend with the Avons and they provided me the sure grip and comfort that I was looking for. I didn't use the weights, (don't like them)but I believe that if you wanted to retain the weights you could just remove the end caps and screw them back on.