IGNORED

Bike backfires on deceleration

Today for the first time my bike started backfiring on deceleration...these were not the usual rumbling or small pops I normally heard when coming down a mountain road but rather loud backfires..It did it both in 3rd and 4th gear at about 4000rpm decelerating to 3000 rpm..I thought it might be due to altitude but it did it at lower elevations also...

I did the needle modification to lean out the bike, could that be causing it? All else is good..starts and runs fine..alls good except the backfiring..

that is a lean condition, did you ever hear the old 900, and 1000 kawasakis do that after guys put on an header years ago, they didn`t jet the bike right, go back to the original jetting, maybe even raise the needle, put the washer under the clip

I had a nipple cover come off the syncro attachments sucking in air and causing backfire.

I'll be dipped in sh**...you hit it right on the head..After reading your post I thought what the heck might as well check those nipples before going any further and sure enough the R/F carb was missing a nipple....Thanks for saving me the anguish of trying to figure out why the backfiring...

I owe you a few beers if we ever meet...

• 1 year later...
I'll be dipped in sh**...you hit it right on the head..After reading your post I thought what the heck might as well check those nipples before going any further and sure enough the R/F carb was missing a nipple....Thanks for saving me the anguish of trying to figure out why the backfiring...

I owe you a few beers if we ever meet...

Where are those nipples located? I should the ones on my bike as well.

Thanks

Chris