IGNORED

Shorty windscreen

DaveDanger

I decided a few months ago that I wanted to get the tall OEM windscreen out of my way temporarily and allow the wind to cool me a bit during the summer months.

After riding for a few weeks with no windscreen at all, I decided I wanted at least something mounted on the fairing to fill the slot. A secondary thought was to maybe mount a shorty windscreen for appearances sake.

Not really having any desire to purchase a brand new full-size windscreen (to cut down), I placed a "part wanted" ad here on the site for one that I could cut down to the size I wanted. A Venture brother in California saw my request and shipped me an old one for the cost of shipping.

I received his old one and measured off an 8" rise from bottom to top on the older screen. I overlapped my OEM screen over the replacement and used the upper edge of mine to grease-pencil the upper curve to provide me a cut-line.

I cut the excess screen off using a high-speed abrasive cutting disc and a die-grinder, leaving about 1/8" extra outside my grease-pencil line. I then polished that down exactly with another abrasive sanding disc, in the same die-grinder. I then rounded all edges with an air-sander and mounted the freshly re-sized windscreen to my fairing.

It looks great and does exactly what I want. Allows enough air to keep me aerated, yet fills the slot and keeps the appearance sharp.

Just finished and mounted it yesterday, so I haven't had it out for a major highway ride yet. So not sure if it's low enough to avoid throwing a buffet into the middle of my face, but it can be shortened again if necessary. I'd rather have it too short than too tall.

I'll post pics ASAP :)

Edited by DaveDanger
Grammar <Sigh>

when i purchased our RSV, it had the short shield on it & the taller factory shield was put in a bag with the other stuff that came with the purchase.

I rode around with the shorty for awhile & it was Ok, but Debbie said she had a lot of wind. i put the tall one on & i liked it better that she did not get near the buffetting. after getting my M/C jacket, i would prefer the short shield as this "made for hot weather riding jacket" is much hotter than advertised or the tester did not ride in southeast Louisiana.

so, for me either way seems ok. it is nice to have both.

Dale in La

I ride a 1st gen, and I cut 4" off the top of mine...rode that fer a bit, then proceeded to cut an additional 5" offa it. (If you're sitting in the seat, the top of the window is about 3" higher than the top of the mirrors.)I LOVE IT!!

My wife questioned this at first (like they do) but now it feels like riding a motorcycle again. I get a bit of wind in the mug...but it doesn't blast me at all. If it starts to rain (I do live on the Oregon coastline), there's still enough there to hide behind.

I had a 1500 Wing for 2 1/2 months, and did the exact same thing to it...and loved it too (not the Wing...just the windshield chop).

I'm now in the process of getting my grubby little hands on a very nice '92 1st gen, and about the only thing I'm gonna do to it, is chop the window. (I'll keep a full size model on hand for winter use.)

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/97/l_b6e076470d9d783044fc0ce00f6e62cd.jpg

that is not a bad idea to cut a bit off at a time till you find what works best. i may try to get my hands on another stock shield & trim it down some. i tend to ride solo more so than 2 up. i could swap em out when needed.

thanks for the idea.

Dale in La

Georgia has been in a drought for seems like the past several years, and suddenly when I want to take photos, Mother Nature has decided to rectify the water shortage with liquid sunshine nearly every day for the last 3 months.

I just got reminded however that I'd promised to post pics of my new shorty windscreen and I just popped outside the hangar and snapped a few while the rain had let up.

Not great pics, and I'll post more as I get a good day, but something to peruse regardless :)

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i140/Dave_Danger/Bike/DSC04453.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i140/Dave_Danger/Bike/DSC04452.jpg

Naked Rider,

How tall is the exposed part of the windshield you have currently mounted on your bike? I removed my original for the summer, and don't have it at my fingertips to measure, but it seems like it's somewhere in the vicinity of 15 or 16" tall. (My new shorty is 8" tall and I think I cut almost exactly half of the height off of it).

I'm fairly tall at 6'2" and have never had any difficulty with the air buffeting from the OEM windshield, and my wife has never complained about the buffeting either, until she rode with me a few times with NO windshield at all mounted. She said then that it was too much wind in her face, and she'd not ride again with me till a windshield was back on the bike.

I've seen absolutely no difference in handling with the OEM or the shorty windshield.

As far as MPG, I can't help but think it won't be affected much either way. Whether it's the tall windshield or your head and torso up there, the wind is dragging a bit on something. The tall windshield may actually provide a slightly smoother surface for the wind to slip off of... an exercise in physics that most of us have no practical ability to test and prove one way or the other. :)

David

I cut down mine too.

Maybe I need to round the corners of mine, like yours. I now get wind noise and buffeting behind my cut-down windshield. I made a template of the original top shape and cut the same shape 5" lower.

Edited by GaryZ

I cut down mine too.

OOOOOOOO...I like that Foxman.

I may be buying a '93 Royale this next week...and you've just confirmed that indeed, it's going to look great with the shorty windshield from my '83. (it WILL fit, won't it???) I'd like to keep the taller one as a spare for winter use.

I bought a shortened windshield from Yamaha and like it.

But, I wonder if I might like even shorter better.

I still have my stock windshield, but can't ever see going back to it.

Is it worth anything?

If not, maybe I should 'play' with cutting it down. I am wondering what a less round top would be like, almost straight across the top with barely rounded corners.

craigr