IGNORED

Garmin GPS Question

craigatcsi

I have a Garmin GPS that it suddenly seems to take a loong time to find the Satellites. - Maybe 5 or 10 minutes. My wife couldn't get it to locate ANY while she was in Dallas. She finally gave up and got the paper map out.

Recently, while on a 2-week trip I carried the GPS in the leather bag on my windshield. Could the vibrations have damaged it?

craigr

Try doing a Hard Reset. You will have to re-enter favorites and some set up will need to be re entered, but it might correct your problem. I had one do the same thing and after the reset its now worked for 2 years. You also might go to the satellite screen and check the settings there. Don't know what they should be...........:confused24:, but check them anyway:rotf:

On my Garmin handheld (GPSMap60CSx), the time it takes to locate satellites depends on the change in distance it is from the last time it was turned on. For example, if I last had it turned on and linked up in my front yard, and the next time I turn it on is also my front yard, it grabs satellites quick. However, if I had moved a significant distance... say across town... and then turned it back on, it would seem to take forever to link up. I don't know about the StreetPilot's and Nuvi's, but the handheld has an option on the link screen to tell the unit that you're at a new location, and it takes a fraction of the time to link up.

Not sure if that helps any...