IGNORED

Handle bar adjustment for RSTD

wrongway2

I've been unsuccessful by searching so here's my question.

Is it possible to adjust the bars on the RSTD.

All I'm looking to do is raise the grips so they're an inch or so higher than they are right now.

I can't see because of the dash so hoping somebody can explain how to do this.

thanks

Greg

Take off the windshield and look at the front side of the dash cover.There is a big phillips screw there.Take it out and remove the cover.That should get you into anything else you need to get to the clamps so you can loosen them and rotate the bars as you wish.

I haven't done this just what I have observed from looking things over.

thanks guys. I never even thought of removing the windshield to get at the dash from the front. :doh:

Dave: did you remove the windshield to get at the dash from the front????

I'll give it a try tonight after work.

Edited by wrongway2
i'm dumb

That was one of the first things I did when I got my TD in 05. I found that I was getting cramping in my neck and shoulders and once I lowered the bars, neck apin went away. As stated in an earlier post, need to remove the speedo to make the adjustment.

Be sure to check for interference with your knees. I know you are raising the bar and it shouldn't be an issue for you. When I put on my mustang seat I didn't even think of it until I tried to do a tight u-turn. Then I discovered that the seat had pushed me forward enough that the handle bars hit me in the knees. I raised the bars using the method described above, take off the windshield, remove the speedo assembly (it unplugs in the back if you want to remove it), put a cover between the tank and the bars in case the bars drop, loosen the screws, raise the bars, tighten things up....

Once you're done check for interference at the new height. It made my throttle cable come really close to the windshield. Now I have a little wear mark on the shield where the two rub together a bit from normal vibration. This is even worse with the Clearview extra wide windshield.

Best of luck.