IGNORED

What Do I Do Next?

silverdeer0454

I just returned from my first 500 mile overnight trip on the RSTD. 25 miles into the ride the left side passing light went out. I wasn't worried because it was just the light. When I got home I took the light apart think it will be a simple bulb change. But I can't figure this one out.

Picture 1 - The light is out.

picture.php?albumid=467&pictureid=2765

Picture 2 - Back side of the light

picture.php?albumid=467&pictureid=2766

Picture 3 - The bulb???

picture.php?albumid=467&pictureid=2767

Question - Does the entire headlamp get replaced or just the glass part in #3? The actual light bulb seems to be soldered to the copper colored fitting and blue wire.

You replace the whole thing - Bulb & wire come as a set.

craigr

:confused07:

Picture 3 looks like a standard H3 bulb. Isn't that all that gets replaced????

**EDIT**

Ok read your answer wrong. Saw whole thing and panicked.

You can get that bulb (with wire!) just about anywhere that sells anything automotive.

OK....I went to five (5) auto parts stores and ended up with 1 replacement bulb rated at 12V 35 Watts. I like to replace bulbs in pairs if there is no visble damage to the one that still works. Seems to be a shortage in this part of Washington state for 35 watt bulbs. Any problem with using the 55 watt bulbs?

OK....I went to five (5) auto parts stores and ended up with 1 replacement bulb rated at 12V 35 Watts. I like to replace bulbs in pairs if there is no visble damage to the one that still works. Seems to be a shortage in this part of Washington state for 35 watt bulbs. Any problem with using the 55 watt bulbs?

A Wagner 4449 is a 30W sealed beam replacement for that (EDIT: At least this is what I use and from what I can tell they are identical to what my yamaha dealer wanted $60 each (sold in pairs of course)). (The autoparts store I got mine from had to order them... Fortunately one of the distribution centers is on the other side of town so I got it in about 45 minutes).

But to answer your question:

The 55 watt bulbs draw more current than the 30 Watt bulbs. A pair of 55 watters draws ~9.2 Amps (for the pair assuming it is supplied with ~12 volts). Compared to the 5A draw of the 30 Watt pair (again assuming 12V). Now this estimate is a little bit high since the bike really has 13.5-14V within the electrical system, but being slightly higher to be on the safe side is fine.

Now if you include the 55/60 Watt (low beam/high beam) you are looking at a total current draw for the headlamps/spotlamps of 14.2A (with 55W spotlights) or ~10A with the 30W spot lights.

Finally, we cannot forget about the tail lamp.

So if your passing lights are on the headlight circuit, using the 55W spotlights is pushing the upper limit of the headlamp circuit.

If your passing lamps are powered directly from the battery or on their own circuit, then you are fine (since this is still under the total max capacity of the stator).

I hope that helps.

Edited by LilBeaver
Clarification

Thanks for the info Rick. The passing lights are on the headlight circuit, so it looks like I will stick to the 35 watt bulbs. Just need to search more auto parts stores around here. I was told by more than one place that the 35 watt bulbs are popular with the ATV crowd and thats why they sell out so quick.

It's been quite a while, but I'd swear that we bought mine at Walmart.

craigr

I have passing lamps on their way to me via the Big Brown Truck. I chose H3 over sealed beam because I know I can get H3 lamps at Wallyworld, plus there appear to be numerous plug compatible options as well should I so choose in the future.

The wagner sealed beam that I mentioned above, is in-fact what I said it was but like a few others have said the bulb that you have out looks to be the H3s. Sorry about that, for some reason I had remembered H3s being something else - I just looked it up because I was curious; here is an example:

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/hella/DSC04071.jpg

I know for sure that these are available at the Wall-mart by me and I would believe that they are common enough that you would likely find these quite easily.

Again, I am really sorry about that; hopefully you will see this before you go get something that is not correct.

Larry,

I bought one of these at Wallyworld in Marysville about 2 months ago. Can't remember the price, but they had them and I wasn't able to find them at any of the auto parts stores. If they don't have them, check at the auto parts store (Carquest) right next to the Aurora Rents store just off the island on the right hand side. Ask for Keith if he doesn't have it, he will get it for you as quick as he can. I would have went there first, but mine went out at night and I was right by Wallyworld and they had them.

Sean

Thanks Sean! I checked the mom and pop place on Camano, Napa in Stanwood, Car Quest in Stanwood, Schucks in Stanwood, and Wally world in Burlington. Lots of 55 and 100 watt available, but 35 watt was sold out everywhere. I'll check at wally world in Marysville the next time I head that way. My girlfriend works at Fred Meyer so I'll check there as well. "Hey what's on your list today?" Ya just never know!

Larry

Larry,

I live in Arlington, work in Burlington and have a Carbtune that you are more than welcome to use if you'd rather not spend the money on one. I'd be more than happy to show you how to use it anytime. If you'd still like to buy your own, I'd be more than happy to show you how to get it set up and use it. Don't get me started on how Skagit screwed me last year when I had them install my tires! Drop me a line anytime hindu121@hotmail.com. Of course we might have to take a ride to test it out after! :big-grin-emoticon: