IGNORED

engine studder??

The Black Pearl

Ok guys got another question for you all, recently did a bunch of work to my 05 midnight ( plugs air filters carb sync oil change tires brakes) and i am noticing when its cold and i choke her to warm it up it isnt smooth, and only when cruising not under accel the engine seems to "studder" just a lil bit was expecting it to run smooth at say 40 riding through town but has a spudder maybe is a better word, you hit the gas and she seems fine, am gonna change the fuel filter but wonder if you guys have any other suggestions??

:95:

Are you keeping your RPM's up? This V4 lugs easily and hates LOW RPM's.

Changing the fuel filter is a good idea tho....there's a LOT of crappy gas out there....and if you have bought gas from a Station that allows their tanks to get low rest assured yer gonna get gas with crap in it.

Boomer........who is going to re-locate his fuel filter and and slap a new one in at every oil change.

Ok guys got another question for you all, recently did a bunch of work to my 05 midnight ( plugs air filters carb sync oil change tires brakes) and i am noticing when its cold and i choke her to warm it up it isnt smooth, and only when cruising not under accel the engine seems to "studder" just a lil bit was expecting it to run smooth at say 40 riding through town but has a spudder maybe is a better word, you hit the gas and she seems fine, am gonna change the fuel filter but wonder if you guys have any other suggestions??

Well I will definately weed out the oil change and tires as a possible cause...

SO lets look at the remaining things you did.

I can only assume you checked the plug gap prior to installing them..and that they are the right type plugs...Now I dont mean to make it sound like your dumb or anything but if you did gap them and they are the correct plugs,we can weed them out.

Next, your air filters.. assuming again you removed and replaced them correctly, I can elimiate them too. They can only og back together one way so I would be willing to bet this is correct.

This brings me to the carb sync.

One question I have to ask is did the bike "spudder" as you so called it BEFORE you did hte carb sync?

If not, there lies your problem..

Did you hook the vac hoses back up after syncing the carbs..sorry, but it is a question I have to ask.

Are the hoses cracked now that you removed them and reinstalled them?

Is your carb sync meter working properly ,,,not sticking or anything...?

If the bike ran fine before you did the carb sync, then I would go back and re-sync them again just to be sure I didnt forget something.

It only takes 10 minutes to do so it is an easy thing to check.

Other than that I am at a loss too....unless your floats are sticking..:confused24:

Well I can definately weed out the oil change and tires as a cause...

SO lets look at the remaining things you did.

I can only assume you checked the plug gap prior to installing them..Now I dont mean to make it sound like your dumb or anything but if you did, then it's also weeded out.

Next, air filters.. assuming again you removed and replaced them correctly, I can elimiate them too.

This brings me to the carb sync. One question I have to ask is did the bike "spudder" as you so called it BEFORE you did hte carb sync? If not, there lies your problem..

Did you hook the vac hoses back up after syncing the carbs..sorry, but it is a question I have to ask.

Is your carb sync meter working properly ,,,not sticking or anything...?

If the bike ran fine before you did the carb sync, then I would go back and re-sync them again just to be sure I didnt forget something. It only takes 10 minutes to do so it is an easy thing to check.

:confused24:

ok so on your questions yes to it all but i had the stealer do the carb sync ($50) so i could argue and yes it was a lil rough before hand it seems better but even with higher rpms if i am not really giving it the juice it feels like its spuddering a bit so not sure

What you may have to consider is your problem did not get fixed, and you need to figure out what to do next.

DITTO what he said..............sounds like I would be going back to the dealer and let them know it still isnt right..

and I bet you they do not know how to sync the carbs right anyway......:whistling:

i changed the spark plugs rode it and it didnt seem right ran out of day light so i put it off till the next day went for a short ride still spuddering got to my freinds house and looked around and found that i had for got to put one of the spark plug wires back on so pulled the tank (full i might add) the bone because wouldnt you not it had to be the front one put it back on and problem gone.

I have had NGK Spark Plugs old and (new out of box) that would "IDLE" smoothly all day long then when upped the rpms the plug would stop firing until back to IDLE ((How did I know this U ask? Yamaha Outboard, Boat, Engine cover off, air cleaner off and can of Carb Cleaner and assistant driver)). SO far my NGK Iridiums have not done this (fingers crossed & Time......)

Best of all do not need a local dealer to do this.

Good Luck :)

:superman:

well got home and did some looking, also forgot to say I plugged my ais this weekend too, but at idle I hear the spuddering, just slightly and its all from the left rk muff, talked to the dealer and I am gonna change the fuel filter and check the plug wires(thanks for tip) and see what that does.... if no better dealer is gonna check it out... Im running out of ideas