IGNORED

radio backup fuse keeps blowing!!!

big mike

I have been stumped for about 1 week now. One sunny day I was riding home from work and my radio just cut out....no power to the tuner where the volume control is. After tracking down which fuse it was, I found that the 10 amp fuse behind the side cover...aka backup fuse, was blown. I figured it was probably an original fuse, changed it out and it worked fine for about 1 week. Then one day it blew shortly after starting, while idleing. So being suspicious I was careful to watch while I put in the new fuse. With the key in the off position I noticed the fuse was arcing while I inserted the fuse....wierd....tried to see if the radio worked by turning the key to acc position...worked fine....turned the key to the on position with the radio on and everything ok....hit the start button and lost radio power. All I can think is that the ignition switch is shorting out??? ANYONE EVER RUN INTO THIS? Please shoot me your ideas or experiances!!!!

Thanks,

Big Mike:think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think:

Mike,

I can not say for sure if this is your problem, but I would check it anyway to be sure it is not or will not be a future problem....

sorry, but you must take the gas tank off to check this connector out.

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32359]Ignition Switch Wiring Failure - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

Something else to check or look for:

Not sure if you have a back rest. If you do, make darn sure the rear steel brace does not (or has not) pinched the wire harness that is on the front side of your rear fender. The steel bracket / brace will push up against this harness when you sit in the seat and lean back and cause it to short out...just ask me how I know...

Stop on the side of the road and pick up a piece of old truck tire. Its just the right thickness..Take a hack saw and cut a small square about 2 inch by 1 inch wide from it and wedge this piece of rubber between the steel brace and your rear fender. Make sure the wire harness is to the side of this rubber piece and not under or over it. Now when you lean back the pressure is on the rubber and nothing will touch the wire harnes again.

good luck........

Edited by Eck

Mike,

I can not say for sure if this is your problem, but I would check it anyway to be sure it is not or will not be a future problem....

sorry, but you must take the gas tank off to check this connector out.

Ignition Switch Wiring Failure - VentureRider.Org

Something else to check or look for:

Not sure if you have a back rest. If you do, make darn sure the rear steel brace does not (or has not) pinched the wire harness that is on the front side of your rear fender. The steel bracket / brace will push up against this harness when you sit in the seat and lean back and cause it to short out...just ask me how I know...

Stop on the side of the road and pick up a piece of old truck tire. Its just the right thickness..Take a hack saw and cut a small square about 2 inch by 1 inch wide from it and wedge this piece of rubber between the steel brace and your rear fender. Make sure the wire harness is to the side of this rubber piece and not under or over it. Now when you lean back the pressure is on the rubber and nothing will touch the wire harnes again.

good luck........

Thanks Eck, i'll look into this in the next few days. Things are getting extremely busy around here. I do greatly appreciate the info and link though. And YES........I do have a backrest.....GOT IT FROM YOU AS A MATTER OF FACT!!! Appreciate it very much, not a whole lot of guys out there like you.....well there are a few on this site......You are still very much appreciated though in my book.:clap2:

Thanks,

Big Mike:thumbsup2:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Rick, havent been on here much lately so I didn't get your question until now. Truth is I havent had a chance to do much lately so I will be going out to look at it later today. I'll let you know if I find anything. Are you having issues also? Or just curious?

Big Mike

Thanks big mike.

I am having issues with the radio, but it is not the exact same thing you are experiencing. I was just trying to figure out what else to look at.

Good luck with your troubleshooting!

What kind of troubles are you having?:confused24:

What kind of troubles are you having?:confused24:

I wrote it up in this thread here:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=40055

I'll go ahead and summarize here though...

Basically the radio started acting with a mind of its own. It worked perfectly fine until yesterday when I got on and tried to turn it on it didn't turn on until about 5 or 10 mintues after I had pushed the button. Controls were intermittant. Radio would go in and out as if I was losing reception and then getting it back (even though I know for sure that where I was driving ALWAYS has a good signal). Then the weirdest thing was when I turned the bike off and took the key out the radio display stayed on (I could not hear anything, but it was on a station that only had static anyways so it was inconclusive). This happend twice - the second time I had parked in my garage and then just unhooked the neg. terminal on the battery so I could start working on it without killing the battery.