IGNORED

car tire

tgrsmv

Ive looked into this and the ONLY tire that Ive found that is close to the dimensions is a BFGoodrich T/A radial in 155/80R15. It's actually a specialty tire that they build for T-bucket hot rods, but I think it'd work good on the back of a Venture.

• 2 weeks later...

Dont suppose you could get a picture of the tire on the bike? I'd like to see the clearance between the tire and swingarm.

For what we use for the rear tire on the MTC Voyager a car tire is the perfect replacement. I had mine at Voyager this morning and actually got Kent to smile after he took mine for a ride after he saw I had one mounted. The ride is smoother you'll find the small cracks and ripples disappear along with the small jolts because the sidewall of the car tire gives and acts like a shock absorber to some extent.You'll also find that the tire always has more contact with the street than a bike tire. We're cruisers not crotch rocket riders so we basically fall into for what the tire was designed to do.

If you were putting it on the bike without the Voyager you would find its a little bit harder to put into turns because the car tire wants to stand up. Oh and one of the other good things is because the sidewall gives a little bit you dont wind up fighting road crown like you do with your bike tire. You'll find naysayers that will tell you it cant work, it wont work and my attitude is anything that improves handling ride and safety works for me. Some of these other guys have forgotten how in the 50s,60s and 70s Harley guys used to mount car tires on their bikes until the radial came in. And cost $55.00 for my Falken Ziex 512 195 65 R15. To mount and balance the tire usually go to an independent bike shop or chopper shop and explain to them how its being used and usually they'll do it for the same charge as a bike tire.

Two things when mounting is that anywhere up to 120 psi is sometimes needed to mount the tire bead and lots and lots of lube like dishwasher soap, eurolube tiremount lube, you can even use- and please dont laugh, KY jelly with water. Would I go back to a bike tire ,not unless I absolutely have to.You get a flat on the road you plug it like a car tire. In the rain it handles better because it sheds water from the tread better giving you a cleaner patch on the road. I run my front tire at 36 psi and my car tire at 38psi and she handles great, rides great and has less wear and tear on the rig due to lack of vibration and that what counts.

• 2 weeks later...

I am haveing a sidecar built for my RSV by (Texas Sidecar Co.),the Ranger model. A friend of mine who also rides a RSV and has this same sidecar

uses a VW tire on the rear realy likes it because of the cost and the

narrow profile of the tire.I will also be running VW Tire on mine when the

side car is mounted.

Just something to think about?????

• 2 years later...

Greetings and Salutation:

I have a few questions for all of you darksiders. The possibility of obtaining 20 or 30K from a back tire is extremely appealing, but from what I’m reading most of you are experiencing several problems; i.e.: (1) high speed wobble, (2) difficulty in pulling it off center, (3) mounting problems, (4) having difficulties finding the exact air pressure, etc. etc.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know how many have tried the car tire, or at least how many have experienced this high speed wobble at one time or another, and was the problem corrected, and how?

2. How many find it difficult to get off center?

3. How many find the C/T performs poorly in curves?

4. How many have had issues mounting the tires?

Thanks Guys

Chris

BFG has a white lettered 155/80R15 and there are a few different brands in 165/80R15 with blackwalls. I run the 165/80R15 Kumho Power Star 758.

1. Does anyone know how many have tried the car tire, or at least how many have experienced this high speed wobble at one time or another, and was the problem corrected, and how?

I have heard of a few talk about the wobble but I've never experienced it myself. Personally, I think it's some other problem with the bike that the tire brings out. Maybe loose steering head bearings or swingarm bearings, etc.

2. How many find it difficult to get off center? My experience has been that it rides and handles just like a MC tire but with better traction in braking and in the curves. Some other Darksiders with wider tires notice this a lot more than we do.

3. How many find the C/T performs poorly in curves? See above

4. How many have had issues mounting the tires? It seems some have more problems than others. Really the only mounting issues are (1) finding someone to do it, and (2) the amount of pressure it takes to seat the beads. I mounted my own and it took 110 lbs to seat the beads. After reading a lot on the subject this is what I'll do next time. Polish up the bead area of the wheel with a scuffing pad, steel wool or even fine sandpaper, use a quality bead lube like the tire stores use and let the tire heat in the sun before mounting. It seems that the people that have done it this way have a much lower seating pressure.

Hope some of this helps!

I am running a 155/80r15 on the rear with my sidecar. Being the bike no longer leans I have not noticed any problems with using the car tire on turns. I have ridden the bike to south Fl. on the interstate at 80 plus with out any problems. I have 8K on it now and it still looks like new.

The ride is smoother and the handling is better. There is plenty of clearance between the tire and the drive shaft. Some are using the 165/80r15 which is a little wider and taller.

enjoy the ride !!

Greetings and Salutation:

I have a few questions for all of you darksiders. The possibility of obtaining 20 or 30K from a back tire is extremely appealing, but from what I’m reading most of you are experiencing several problems; i.e.: (1) high speed wobble, (2) difficulty in pulling it off center, (3) mounting problems, (4) having difficulties finding the exact air pressure, etc. etc.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know how many have tried the car tire, or at least how many have experienced this high speed wobble at one time or another, and was the problem corrected, and how? No wobble on my BFG Radial T/A

2. How many find it difficul t to get off center? It does take a slight more effort, but you quickly get used to that and it is in no way an issue.

3. How many find the C/T performs poorly in curves? I still scrape shiny parts in corners and it still scares the p*ss out of me when I do it!

4. How many have had issues mounting the tires? Discount tire did mine for me. Told them it was for my sidecar.

Thanks Guys

Chris

YMMV