IGNORED

2nd gen radio problems

wrbaird

i am experiencing a similar problem. There several threads on this site on this. one suggestion is to clean and put dielectric grease on thr connections in the front fairing. my dealer said it is covered under warranty. My bike is a 2007, garage kept, with 16,000 miles on it.

Mine did the same thing. But it always came on. Its the large connector under the fairing with the blue band. Take it apart a couple of times and put some di-electric grease on the male pins. That will probably solve your problem.

I checked out the other posts on this similar problem. Last night I cleaned all connections under the fairing even the ones not related to the radio. I put dielectric grease on all connections as well. Still not turning on. The lights in the switches on the handlebar controller come on in acc or on positions but I can't turn the radio on. The bike is an '03 with 19000 km (12000 mi) so its off warranty. Its always in a garage and has seen very little rain.

Initially, your problem sounded like the design flaw I have documented in several other threads - here is one:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27095&highlight=radio+design

That problem is irritating, but it is easily worked around once you recognize it.

But if it will not come on at all, then something else is wrong - hopefully it is just the fuse. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Thanks to everyone for your input/assistance! I did check the fuse but not sure now at what point in this operation that I did. I only checked the fuse labeled "Audio". Are there others for the radio system? :puzzled:

Well I've gone through the manual and still can't get to the bottom of this. I have no backlight on the handlebar controller. Took it apart but couldn't see anything wrong in there. Tried unplugging and plugging in the blue plug for the copntroller several times. Still can't turn the radio on! I'm thinking I'm into a controller at this point. Typical, as soon as its off warranty! :crying:

There is also a plug under the passenger seat that leads to the radio, this would be something else to check. Well, there are actually 2; one is for passenger communications the other (13ish-pin connector) is for the radio.

Good luck.