IGNORED

Nearly Missed Accident last eve (descriptive details)...

frogmaster

Will try my best to describe so you get a good picture in your mind... Last eve was on the way home at Sun Set and Peak Deer time. I had my XXL Clearview Windshield and my Clear Safety Glasses and my visor was full up. Had Mimi on the back too. North West Michigan rural Highway M-37. I was scanning left and right 10 to 12 seconds (Max headlight range) like a mad man. Seen 5 deer next too road (3 did not move, 1 went back to woods and 1 crossed 10 to 12 seconds in front). Then climbing a large and long hill I was 10 seconds behind a Toyota ForeRunner he was using High Beams and I was in the left 1/3 of my lane (near the yellow line) using Low Beam. Me and the Forerunner had been like this for the last 15 or 20 miles (best for the situation).

Mimi and I have a "Deer Spotting Contest" DEER Right, Deer or Left Deer Front commands through our intercom. OK back to the large and long hill. There is a campground at bottom of hill on leftside and over the hill about 2 miles is a Party Store / Gas Station. Just as we got to the top of the hill I say "Deer Left" in the next 1 to 3 seconds I realize there are 4 "DEER EYES" bobbing up and down.... Wrong... I then recognize them 'bobbing deer eyes" as Bicycle Pedal Reflectors from two bicycles. They were on the farthest left shoulder of the road going head on to on coming traffic (good), but then I see them weaving badly into the oncoming lane maybe 1/3 into that lane. Remembering when I was a kid peddling to the top of a big and long hill I was tired, out of breath and wobbly too...

OK so far recognized and analyzed the situation at hand... Then headlights started from the other side of the hill (Thinking to myself they better get that wobbling under control soon).... Just as the Toyota Forerunner in front of me passed them one of the kids decided he was going to avoid the oncoming car in his lane by cutting across the street (now 5 to 6 seconds out)!!! I PRESSED Hard Right to get too the White Line and the kid is still coming across his front tire is now at the double yellow line. By time I get TUNNEL VISION and ON THE WHITE LINE and steady I started emergency braking procedure (My arms strained as me and now Mimi full weight was upon the handle bars). Realizing I was fully upright and not skidding when I was braking and under control I then forceably broke eye contact with white line to see where the Bicycle was now? In the corner of my left eye I see his Back Tire breaking the reflective double yellow lines and briefly seen his handle bars cranked hard left about 18 to 24" off my left handle bar!!!

WE MADE IT.

1. Thank God

2. Thanks to my MSF.Org Training Classes (Basic and Advanced 2008).

3. Lucky

Edited by frogmaster
spelling

Guest seuadr

wow. good assessment of the situation. glad you were paying attention and let your instincts take over. people do stupid things all the time, i'm glad this time no one had to be hurt because of it.

we sure do grow'em dumb here in the mitten, eh?

:stirthepot:

Makes me wonder just how many times I could have gotten run over as a kid on my bike. Things were a lot different then. I could ride for miles and not see a house. Now I see a house every 1/4 mile at least.

I did something similar on my mini-bike to the neighbor lady. When I heard the screeching of the tires on that short bus she drove for work, I looked over and found out what a deer feels like just before it gets turned into road pizza. But I think it scared the crap out of her even more. :bowdown: