ROYAL STAR TOUR DELUXE PASSING LAMPS

I want to put the passing lamps on my 2009 RSTD. I figure I need these two part numbers:

STR-4NK35-10-01 Lamps

STR-1D635-40-00 Mounts

I can't figure out whether I re-use the flashers that are already on the bike when putting the passing lamps and mounts on the bike.

Do the mounts or passing lamps come with new flashers that replace the stock ones?

I assume I will not be re-using the old stock bar. Does a new bar come with these items?

The pictures on Yamaha's site don't show what is included at all.

Where does the new switch mount?

Where does the wiring harness hook up to? The head light?

Is there any way to hook them up so they stay on with the high beams on?

I cannot understand why they should go off when the high beam is on.

Any help / answers / pictures would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

I 'm not sure how the Turn signals are going to be effected by adding the two passing lamps. ( other then moveing or remounting the existind turn sig lamps )

As to wireing up the new passing lamps. Use the Switch to " control " an added " 12V Relay " ( if not included, then buy a Bosh Relay, at auto parts store ) Run Power directly from Battery Thru a 15 AMP in line Fuse ( You have to add it ) ( if not part of the new light kit ) then " to the " new Relay. Power from the Relay, ( when switched ON by the new switch ) then is sent to the TWO New Lights.

---- DO NOT WIRE UP THE NEW LIGHTS TO ANY EXISTING CIRCUITS !!!!---

Use all new wire, that you install for the entire installation: ---

Use #16 wire from battery, to in line fuse, ( 15 or 20 amp ) then to relay, and from relay to the new lamps.

Use #18 wire for the Switch. GET power from a circuit that is " OFF " when key is in OFF position. #18 wire from that circuit, thru a new added, in line, 5 amp fuse, to the new switch, then from switch to the RELAY, control section,

SEE: this web address for a good schematic:

www.accessconnect.com/fog_driving_lights_wiring.htm

Also:, on the output side of the Relay, I would install a seperate IN-LINE fuse to each side new lamp.

This is over kill, but if fault in one light, then the other would still work.

The new mount bar will replace your stock bar. You will reuse your stock turn signals, they just mount vertical on the new bar instead of horizontal. Follow the advise above, wire a deadicated 12v through a relay. Oh and the switch that comes with it is pre mounted in the left lamp. I just keep mine on all the time.

Takes a bit to get the wires run through the mounting bolts on the ends. I ended up sliding one of the protective covers for the connector down and pulling it through separate because getting it run through the hollow bolts was a pain. The hole gets pretty small when you try and put the wires through. Just be patient, you can do it. Good luck.

I wired my passing lights to a Custom World International Smart Switch that works like a latching relay. Using it means you don't have to mount a separate switch - I installed mine under the seat.

It works like this:

High beams on - passing lights on

High beams off - passing lights on

High beams on - passing lights off

High beams off - passing lights off

Attached is a schematic of how I wired mine. You can google CWI Smart Switch to find where to buy it or you can do like I did and get it off ebay.

• 1 month later...

I have an RSTD with dealer-installed passing lamps. Right now, there is a single red wire coming from the headlamp harness, fused, and going to the left lamp. I assume that the power for the lamps is coming from there, and that the power for the right lamp goes through the mounting bar from the left lamp (where there is the switch).

Do you think I can mount the relay in the headlamp housing? There seems to be room in the RSTD headlamp, but I worry about heat.

I plan to use a t-connector to energize the relay from the front running lamps.

I have run a wire-pair under the tank to the front from my fuse box under the seat.

So now my plan is to:

• Run power from the fuse box to spade 30 on the relay.
  • Run negative from the fuse box to spade 86 on the relay.
  • Run the tapped wire from the running lights to spade 85 on the relay.
  • Run the existing red fused passing lamp wire to spade 87 on the relay.

From the lamp's perspective, all I am doing is changing where it is powered.

But this all depends on the headlamp housing being a safe place for the relay. Is it?

Dave

If I am going to use the front running lights/turn signals to energize the relay, which color wire do I tap into? I think there are three: one for the flasher, one for the running, and one ground.

Dave

I ran a tester on the wiring bundle. The blue wire is always energized when the running lights are on (ignition on). That's the one I used to power the relay. When the key is turned to off or accessory, the passing lamps are off.

I put the relay inside the headlamp housing, and in fact it is in the velcro bundle.

So now, I have passing lamps that are on whether or not the high beams are on. Yay!

Dave