IGNORED

hey michiganders! fort wayne, detroit

Guest seuadr

Guest seuadr

There is a civil war re-enactment at fort wayne in detroit ( yes, i mean it, there is a fort there! ) july 11th and 12th.

i dunno if any of you might be history buffs, but it's an interesting place that has been abandoned by the US goverment and we are part of a historical coalition to try and raise funds to preserve it.

if you mustered out of the great lakes area to vietnam, there is a good chance you passed through ft wayne. It has been that way since the american civil war. untold millions of young men passed through those gates on the way to serve our country.

the italian pilots captured during ww2 were housed there, and it played an important roll in cracking the enigma code during ww2 as well.

there are soldier's initials from the civil war carved into the doors and bunks still in the bunkhouse there. it's a pretty neat place.

i'm not sure what admission costs, but it is secure parking, and if you got some free time, why not swing by? much of the proceeds go the coliation for preservation of the fort.

thanks for your time in reading this guys.

:)

- Jared

Guest seuadr
Are you going?? Maybe we can make it a eat and meet

yes, i am going, but i'm an re-enactor so i'll be part of the event in civil war uniform :D

we camp there for the weekend, in civil war era tents, cook over fires, etc etc.

i'm on a cannon crew for an origional flint, mi gun ( the only one of 4 to survive ) bronze gun. if you see a 30 seomthing guy with a goatee and long hair, my name is jared :)

Guest seuadr
I thought they did that down by monroe Mi little south of the big city ? Have to call my doctor he does that. ? IS it Fort Dearborn

That puts us bout 126 miles out + - Reading Mi:farmer:

oh we have re-enactments all over the state

The forst downtown detroit, right on the river is fort wayne. it's named for general anthony wayne, who took posession of detroit from the british in 1796.

it's one of the few "star" forts ( it's a specific type of fortification ) still in existance in the US.

also, pretty much no one seems to know that it's there!

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/Portals/0/images/recreation/fort_wayne/Tour_Map.jpg

it's right on the narrowest part of the detroit river, near little mexico.

we are leaving in a couple hours to go down there, so don't be offended if i don't answer this post anymore, we won't have internet there.

Edited by seuadr

Sorry man would be fun but its the wife and i's anniversary so were heading into the up to just ride, not sure where we are going but the falls looks nice, shipwreck museum guess well see where the wind blows us..... but would love to come another time let us know when they do it next

:thumbsup: