IGNORED

wondering what that might be....

Picked up my bike from the dealer at lunch they replaced the head gaskets and verified my rattle was the collector (total $240 and 2.5 hours). Hopefully this will resolve my heat issue coming from the rear cylinders.

I tried to get this info from the (service) manual bur either missed it or it's not there, so here is the purpose of this post. The "heatshield" on the top of the rear cylinders and the canister which fits just above that on the back side both are damaged from the heat, i.e. they melted! What is the canister (it's got two hose nipples recessed in the top), what is it for, do I need it? if so, does someone have one? She seems to run fine without it though.

Thanks.

I am not sure what you mean about nipples-recessed in the top. There is the plastic heat shield. And chromeed exhaust shield on the rear head pipes. Those are likely the bolt holes to hold the chrome heat shield on the head pipes. They do crack and shield fall off. BUT should not be thrown away. You can braze washers on and it's good as new. The rear head pipes have bolts to connect and exhaust analyzer. Cannister? Do you have a california bike? Have I cleared this up?

that cannister might be part of the california emmision that a previous owner has bypassed. I'm not sure if its necessary if it is there or not as mine does not have one but its not a ca bike either.m Someone will chime in soon with an answer.

David

Is that "cannister" your YICS chamber ? A black molded chamber with 4 hoses running to it ?

The previous owner may have disconnected it... I removed mine (as many others suggested). Search on "YICS removal" and you'll get tons of info. Send me a PM if you can't find it..

As for the heat sheilds, leave them out & call it good riddance - I can't believe Yamaha had them in there in the first place... complete waste.