IGNORED

Think I found a Good Oil Filter

I’ve been shopping around for oil filters for the Venture and until I read this post ( http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100&highlight=motorcycle+filter ) I haven’t had much luck, particularly since I was doing my search by make and model. Wal-Mart Canada didn’t stock any and Canadian Tire only sold the K&N-303 for $25… that’s nuts!!

My favorite filter is Baldwin, I’ve been using this brand in my diesel truck for 12 years now and researched filters at the time for the best one available. After talking to the good people at Ontario Filter (just off Dixie Street north of 401) and seeing cutouts of more common brands it was more then clear that the Baldwin was of superior construction and filter medium. With the posted information on filters (nice work thank you!!) I was able to do a cross reference with Purolator, Mobil and Bosch and each linked to the same Baldwin filter. Oddly enough the product guide for this filter does not list Yamaha but does say Kawasaki Motorcycles. Here are the specs;

Contains: Anti-Drainback valve 14 PSID By-Pass Valve

Thread: M20x1.5

O.D.:2 21/32 (67.5)

Length (B1400): 2 5/8 (66.7)

Length (B1402): 3 ½ (88.9)

I. Gaskt

- The 2.5in filter is B1400

- The 3.25 filter is B1402

I’m very satisfied with this and am going with the B1402, the other nice thing is that it only costs $6.44. That’s more like it! ... Now if I could only make a decision about which oil to use.

Did you also find this list? Our bikes fall into group five, down at the bottom. There are 65 or so oil filters on that list that will fit our bikes. Both of these Baldwin filters are listed there. And for $6.44? Wow, sorry about that. Down here, the Supertech from Mallwart runs only about $2.50.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=523

Harold has your best advise,

AMSOIL came out with their new EA oil filters (with nanofiber technology) last July that beats anything on the market today. From what I understand they try to stay at least 3 years ahead of the competition.

EaOM Filters last longer, stop smaller dirt particles and offer less restriction than other filters. Ea Motorcycle Oil Filters provide filtering efficiency of 98.7 percent at 15 microns, outperforming the best cellulose/synthetic blend media on the market. For maximum engine protection, AMSOIL recommends changing the EaOM every time you change oil. (In a car, with their synthetic oil, these filters last 24,000 miles.)

Read more at:

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaom.aspx

And you can order them direct from www.amsoil.com, where they already have a EA103 filter for the 2nd gen Ventures.

Rick

\

The EaOM102 is the taller version of the EaOM103.

Be advised that is has a slightly stronger By-Pass Valve. rated at 8-11 LBS while the EaOM103 is reated at 8 LBS.

That informaion is from page 66 of THIS document

Also please note how the photo on the top right of the front page is a man riding a street bike without a helmet..... I wonder how that photo got past their lawyers......