IGNORED

Anyone familiar with antique cut glass and crystal values?

Midrsv

I know this isn't bike related but maybe someone can help me. A few weeks ago my mother passed away and my brother and I are starting to clear up the estate. My mother collected Fostoria and various other crystal and cut glass pieces. My brother and I know nothing about this stuff or how to value it. We spent today photographing each piece and I have uploaded those photos to my web site.

They can be seen at: www.traynorphoto.com/momscrystal

We know there are some valuable pieces and some that are not. However, we don't know which is which. We are reluctant to send the items to an auction house because we would hate to see a $600 pitcher go for $6. Does anyone have any idea how to find the true value on these items or how best to sell them?

Our intent with the photos was to just email dealers and offer the pieces up for sale and ask for offers. We're just sort of overwhelmed by the number of pieces mom had.

Thanks,

Dennis

First of all excellent job on the photos........any collector or dealer you contact would be very pleased with them.

Like you said the value varies greatly........

I would suggest you try to contact some collectors and dealers of fostoria and see what they would offer you for the entire collection.....Im sure you could find some by looking around the net.

a very good place to research is ebay.....not only in the active auctions but the completed listings.......

There are some awesome pieces there...my mom used to have some nice pieces , but nothing like yours had.

Sorry to hear about your mom passing, it can be hard to start going thru her things and letting them go.

It would be great if you could find someone to purchase her entire collection instead of break it up, but im sure you could get more $$ if you sold each piece separately...good luck and i think you have a big job ahead of you.

I guess the only other alternative is to find someone you would trust to give you an appraisal of it all...I think sometimes auctioneers will do that for you

I contacted a local dealer and had him look at the collection. He said he was interested in a few of the pieces and that he would get back to me with a value and he has not. The whole time there he kept talking about how bad the market is that people weren't buying glass anymore. I don't expect much from him.

I've thought of trying to sell on EBAY but I've heard stories of scammers buying a piece from you while they already have the same piece with a flaw. They recieve yours and then try to return the damaged one to you claiming you shipped them the flawed piece. Plus, it's just too many pieces to have to deal with in that manner.

Dennis

then i would do a search on the net of collectors of fostoria and start contacting some of them to see if they would be interested in the collection

what it all boils down to is if you are satisfied with the offer(s) you get

you also could try an ad on craigslist maybe it would pull out some people in your area that collect

i know selling all that on ebay would be a big job but it is still a very good place to research the value of the pieces.

The REAL problem right now is that hardly anything is selling and when it does it's a buyers market. Look thru EBAY at your items, you will see that perhaps 1 piece out of 10 or 15 is selling.

You might do well to try to get a certified appraisal and just divide everything up and put it in YOUR own estate/collection.

That would be the ideal thing to do unless you have to dispose of the collection to satisfy debt or family.

Sorry to hear of your loss, prayers are with you.

I contacted a local dealer and had him look at the collection. He said he was interested in a few of the pieces and that he would get back to me with a value and he has not. The whole time there he kept talking about how bad the market is that people weren't buying glass anymore. I don't expect much from him.

I've thought of trying to sell on EBAY but I've heard stories of scammers buying a piece from you while they already have the same piece with a flaw. They recieve yours and then try to return the damaged one to you claiming you shipped them the flawed piece. Plus, it's just too many pieces to have to deal with in that manner.

Dennis

If the dealer can't get them for cheep he's not going to waste his time, and right now the market is soft on any type collectable . As for Ebay you can state a no return policy in your item discription. All sales final, and take paypal only. Only list 5 or 6 items per week. It get's confusing keeping track of any more. I don't know how some of those sellers do it?? Paypal does have a complaint policy, but if the item is packed very well, and if it arrives unbroken, the seller doesn't have much recourse.

go to www.replacement.com that is all they do. My wife works there and she grades crystal for a LIVING . Its been a long day on the river so when she wakes up I'll see what shemight be abr e to tell you.

You can also call 1800 replace and they will give you info on what and how to work with them. This is akk replacement ltd does is buy and sell china crystal glass ware and the likes.

Hope this helps,

David

Some of that looks farmiliar to me...I do collect blown and antique glassware. If you PM me your address, I have a few books I can send you, as long as you return them to me when you are done with them. It gives names of it along with makers, and an aprox. value, but just remember, its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it at the time. You have some real nice pieces there. And your better off to sell the sets together. Good luck to you!:)

Thanks Lonna,

We're meeting with a couple of dealers this week and I have sent emails to several online dealers soliciting bids. We'll see where this leads. It would probably be easier if I just pick the books up locally. Can you give me the titles?

Thanks,

Dennis

Ha dthe wife look at what you have . She said withoout getting them in her hands it would be hard to grade them.Too bad you are so far away or we would ride and take a look for you. She also said to make sure whoever you deal with is reputable. There are a lot of peaple out there willing to take advantage of your situation.

Sorry to hear of your loss and good luck with your endever.

David

Ps the wife also said you have some very nice pieces there.