I took my ignition out to let the local dealer rekey the lock. I got it back today and went to install it over lunch and got a big surprise the ignition no longer works. I figure I had to have screwed somthing up so I got some picts and am asking for help.

Pict 1 is the contacts that the ignition is supposed to set up against.

Pict 2 is the way "I Think" the washer/contact plate is supposed to go in. My issue is that the little pin that the arrow is pointing to looks like it is supposed to make contact with the inner set of contacts on pict 1 but the pin does not stick out far enough to make contact. What am I doing wrong:confused24:

I am stuck. ANY insight would be helpful.

Hi,

i'm not familiar with this Lock and the Switch, but i think there is missing a Piece.

On the right Pic, at the Pin are two flatted Spots, there should a some how round Piece of Plastics fit onto, which make the Contacts between those Copper Points on the Switchplate. The Contacts themselves are also made out of Copper Sheet and locked to the Plastic Piece similiar like the Contacts on every Connector on the Bike. There should also be a Spring and probably a small Isolatorboard between the Copper and Plastic.

The Brass Piece seen on the right Pic isn't the One which makes the Contacts.

If nobody else chimes in, i could take a Pic of a Vmax-Switch to show what i mean. But that would take at least 18 Hours from now on.

Squeeze

That was kind of my though I am missing something but,......:think: Well I though I was real careful not to drop any pieces off the switch when disassembling it. I sure hope I did not lose a 10 cent piece that is going to cost 70 dollars to replace the whole switch. I mean I just had keys made for it, that would make me :sick:. I will look around the bike again to make sure I did not "drop" anything but if someone who has had this apart could chime in I would be truly greatfull.

Piece of Plastics fit onto, which make the Contacts between those Copper Points on the Switchplate

Squeeze, you were right :whistling: after a close look around the bike I have a piece missing it looks kinda like a small plastic I beam with a oblong hole in the middle and three contact points on either side. This was sitting about four feet away from the rear tire. Boy that crap can bounce. Found it, and after the hours of pouring over the other components it was real easy to figure out where and how it went in. Next thing you know "POWER":cool10:

Cutty,

some of the bikes do have that number but the plate on mine is as bare as my checking account. I have seen the numbers on other posts but mostly on '83 mine is a '89 and I did not have the luck of having those number stamped into the back of the ignition switch plate.