IGNORED

Improving Gas Mileage... More Info

My present carb settings on my 84:

1. Back to white spacer under circle clip on needles, but my gas mileage has suffered. Low to mid 40's. Used to be high 40's, low 50's at 65 mph. (Once got 55 mpg at 55 mph!-retired and why rush home?) My Venture is used almost exclusively 2 up. (We're not light weight people) Checked plugs in early spring they were very white (lean). But never got any knock. Still white now but less white than before. Thinking of going back to a few thousands less than stock white spacer (.010-.020 less?)

2. Pilot AIR jet #2 under carb diaphram. Filled in with 24 hr JB weld and redrilled out with a #53 drill bit. Was a guess and worked. It does have minor throttle response improvement.

3. Pilot screws: 1.75 turns out

4. Carbs synched several times.

5. Used to have a bad hesitation just off idle accelerating, now completely gone, with above settings, starts in warm weather with no choke.

6. Original carb diaphrams coated with dielectric (silicone) grease. If done every year or 2 they will never get holes!!! Do this on any rubber.

7. 3 Friends with 1300's. All are in low 40's on mpg. Dropped needles about .030-.050" depending on their preferences.

8. Why haven't you done my carb needle spacer change out? Better MPG, more HP (hotter spark), reduced operating cost and a "greener" (less carbon footprint) machine?

5. Used to have a bad hesitation just off idle accelerating, now completely gone, with above settings, starts in warm weather with no choke.

Chuck, what fixed the hesitation? Was that present with stock carb settings?

And another question: why does everybody want their bike to start with no choke? The choke is there because a cold engine does not atomize the fuel properly and so more of it is needed. If it starts with no choke, it's too rich methinks!

Jeremy

Chuck, what fixed the hesitation? Was that present with stock carb settings?

And another question: why does everybody want their bike to start with no choke? The choke is there because a cold engine does not atomize the fuel properly and so more of it is needed. If it starts with no choke, it's too rich methinks!

Jeremy

I agree.

Dick