I have read in past postings about connecting new toys to the "accessory lead". Where would I find this wire on my 06 RSTD? Headlight housing? Fuse panel? I just purchased a Garmin Zumo 660 GPS and will be hooking it up this weekend. I already have a couple of other leads connected directly to the positive post on the battery so it is getting a little crowded at that location.

If someone can point me in the right direction and perhaps let me know what the colour coding is for this wire that would help speed up the installation project for this weekend!:think:

I have read in past postings about connecting new toys to the "accessory lead". Where would I find this wire on my 06 RSTD? Headlight housing? Fuse panel? I just purchased a Garmin Zumo 660 GPS and will be hooking it up this weekend. I already have a couple of other leads connected directly to the positive post on the battery so it is getting a little crowded at that location.

If someone can point me in the right direction and perhaps let me know what the colour coding is for this wire that would help speed up the installation project for this weekend!:think:

Go buy you a 30a 12v relay and a fuse box. remove all of the leads from your batter, hook up the relay and the fuse box. much cleaner and neater.

I am connecting two 12v outlets on my 05 RSTD. One under the seat with a wire running under the tank and up the bars to my GPS, and one in the left saddlebag to charge cell, mp3 or whatever. right now, I have them hooked up to the battery with a 5a fuse.

In back of my battery there is a white connection that has 5 wires: black, yellow, blue, brown and green. It is also fused. (factory)

Can I use any of these wires to connect to, instead of connecting to the battery, so that these outlets are keyed?

Right now they are hot all the time.

Thanks,

Steve

Here is a photo showing the accessory lead. It also shows the fuse box I installed. I think for some toys I will use the accessory lead to energize a relay so that the accessory turns off with the key. Main power will always be routed from the fuse box.

The exception to this will be the passing lamps that will have the relay energized by the front running lamps. This might be a solution for you to run the Garmin as well, although the accessory plug will do as you want.

Dave

Here is a photo showing the accessory lead. It also shows the fuse box I installed. I think for some toys I will use the accessory lead to energize a relay so that the accessory turns off with the key. Main power will always be routed from the fuse box.

The exception to this will be the passing lamps that will have the relay energized by the front running lamps. This might be a solution for you to run the Garmin as well, although the accessory plug will do as you want.

Dave

Ditto on the thanks Dave. I'll pull the seat this weekend and have a look for that accessory lead. I don't anticipate anymore electrical loads so that should do the trick for my Garmin Zumo 660. It has a quick detach arrangement, so once it is detached from the base and stored for safe keeping so is the electrical load. Therefore it doesn't even matter if the lead is always powered or off with the key. I already have the passing lamps, a 12 volt outlet, a tack, and the LED turn signal conversions, so unless they invent motorcycle air conditioners or I decide to turn the bike into a rolling LED billboard I should be fine.