IGNORED

Speedometer works, Odometer no workie.

I just purchased an '87 Venture Royale. The guy who I bought it from just installed a new speedometer cable. When he hooked everything up he found that the speedometer works but the odometer stopped working.

So now I am left with this problem. Does anyone know how I might troubleshoot this? Is it a matter of disassembling the front gauge cluster and simply reseating the cable or is there something more sinister lurking for me?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:fingers-crossed-emo

Just take the dash out and remove the speedometer and look inside and see what is not working. It is pretty easy to pull the dash out and look at it. I would go thru the steps but it has been noted several times on how to take the speedometer out. You may just need to do a search.

RandyA

Yes:----

Remove windshield, remove plastic cover over Instrument panel, Remove panel from bike. Move to work bench.

Open the Inst panel cover, work slow, its not hard to do. Just Be careful, don't loose any parts.

Once your inside you can , inspect and work on the Speedo unit.

Be sure to lubricate the bushing, where the cable drives the unit.

Good time to replace all the panel bulbs also--

The tach unit is electric, and works from a signal off the #2 Ignitin coil.

There is a 9 wire Plug, from the Inst panel, wires to the TACH go thru that plug.

Use a good electrical contact cleaner on ALL connections to the Inst panel.

Three wires go to the TACH, Br --- Gy -- and B ground. Follow these to a plug that goes to the bike. Switch on, make sure voltage at the Br wire. Make sure the B wire gets a ground. Then check continuity of the Gy ( gray ) wire from the plug of the bike going to the 3 wire plug of the #2 Ing coil, OR, the 8 pin plug of the TCI.

SEE PAGE: 7-1 block diagram, wireing, of service manual. ( if you don' t have its on this website in the Maintenance library section. ( go to " forums " then scroll down )

If the speedo works then it's not the cable or how it's seated. The problem must be inside the speedo unit. Once you have it open as recommended above, you should be able to spot a stripped gear or something.

Jeremy

I needed to order in another spdmtr cable as the one was broken. Is it alright to ride until the new cable comes in? I don't want to hurt my bike. :confused07:

That won't hurt the scoot, it may hurt the wallet though (depending on how many speeding tickets you get)...............

OK, if the speedometer cable is broken again, you need to take the speedometer apart and see if the bearing in the bottom is siezed up due to being dry. This will happen if you continue to ride the bike and the speedometer is squealing.

There are posts on lubeing the bearing in the bottom of the speedometer.

If you are going to ride the bike with a broken cable, I would take it loose at the wheel so it is not turning if you have not done so.

RandyA

I put a new inner speedometer cable on my 83 just last week. I got it from an automotive parts store. It is a universal inner cable that you cut off to length and and it has a small square end that gets staked in place. Works perfectly and only cost 6.06 out the door.

Dick