IGNORED

12 V Power Outlet

My eyes are starting to get really tired from looking at almost 20 pages of posts about GPS hookups, 12 volt power outlets, hooking direct to battery, not doing that, fuse, no fuse, etc, etc. I have a 2005 RSTD.

Here's my question: The aux DC terminal under the seat has a brown lead and a black lead, the 12 volt power outlet has a red wire and white wire. Does it matter which color is hooked to what? Also, is the aux DC terminal already fuse protected? Just want to make sure I do this right because I still have 47 payments left on the bike

Seems like a simple question but I have been told that I often do the simple things with a deal of difficulty.

OOOPPSSSSSSY

Now I see this is a RSTD!

Below information is for RSV 2nd Gen...

Why not use the Cigarette Light "Type" DC Aux on lower left side of fairing? That does have a fuse it is in right front cowling with several other fuses. Plug & Play!

:178:

Edited by frogmaster
Oopsy

My eyes are starting to get really tired from looking at almost 20 pages of posts about GPS hookups, 12 volt power outlets, hooking direct to battery, not doing that, fuse, no fuse, etc, etc. I have a 2005 RSTD.

Here's my question: The aux DC terminal under the seat has a brown lead and a black lead, the 12 volt power outlet has a red wire and white wire. Does it matter which color is hooked to what? Also, is the aux DC terminal already fuse protected? Just want to make sure I do this right because I still have 47 payments left on the bike

Seems like a simple question but I have been told that I often do the simple things with a deal of difficulty.

Dont know about the plug under the seat but I put a waterproof 12V adapter on the lower left side between the drvers floorboard and the passenger floorboard(there is a small rubber plug there)It was a perfect size for the accessory plug and I wired direct to Battery(Fused) for running an air pump. Maybe this info is helpful.

Dont know about the plug under the seat but I put a waterproof 12V adapter on the lower left side between the drvers floorboard and the passenger floorboard(there is a small rubber plug there)It was a perfect size for the accessory plug and I wired direct to Battery(Fused) for running an air pump. Maybe this info is helpful.

Yours was one of the posts that I saw Tom. The location is perfect and that's where the outlet will go. I just wasn't sure which wire on the aux DC was positive or negative, or if it really matters.

Since this is all DC there is a correct and an incorrect way to plug something in. If you get them switched you will attempt to pass current through whatever it is that you plug into it in the WRONG direction.

To determine which is which, take a multimeter (Voltmeter) ground the negative lead of the multimeter (to the frame of the bike or the negative terminal on the battery) and probe each lead. with the key in the on (or possibly the ACC position) your power port should have power. If you probe one of the plugs and get 12 (or something nominally close to it) volts then that is your positive terminal. Probe the other and you should get 0 Volts (since the other SHOULD be ground - aka the negative terminal). If you get 0 volts on both of them check your fuses. If you get 12V on both of them, there is likely a short somewhere.

If you do not have a voltmeter/multimeter, let me know and I can walk you through putting one together using some typical household items.

Hope that helps

Got it figured out, of course I blew a fuse on the adapter that goes to my GPS. Once replaced it works well. I have a Garmin Nuvi that I have been riding around with using just the built in battery. I have been using the suction cup mount on the wind screen and even after 4 or 5 hours of riding it never lost suction and stayed put. Problem was the battery died after a couple of hours. Now it runs off the 12 V power outlet and the battery stays charged. Once again THANKS!!!!

:clap2:

If you look at powerlet's site they have a number of plug options with accessory cords and make a very nice fused battery multi-tap specifically for motorcycles. They also compute the Excess Electrical Capacity (EEC) of any bike (not already in their list) for the asking.

Here is my set up:

- 300W Amp & USB charging port (warm electronics) hardwired back to the black/brown accessory plug. This is a 5A fused link which operates only when the key is on or in ACC.

- Right side low profile powerlet plug hardwired back to the battery. This is a 15A fused link installed in the plastic panel in front of the hard bag. This is used for battery tender plug-in (powerlet to SAE cable) as well as for driver heated clothing.

- Left side low profile powerlet plug hardwired back to the battery. This is a 15A fused link installed in the plastic panel in front of the hard bag. This is used for accessories (cold electronics - powerlet to cigarette plug for radios, etc.) and passenger heated clothing.

- Handlebar mounted powerlet plug hardwired back to the battery. This is a 10A fused link used for bag mounted accessories or as an aux plug when carrying a passenger.

I have (2) RAM mounting points installed on the left and right controls. These provide 2-3 positions on which I can mount GPS, iPod, phone, etc. I have a "fair weather" GPS mount as well as a "foul weather" aquabox. The USB or powerlet port are used to keep the front side electrics going.

Ride safe.

All I really wanted to do was mount a GPS on the motorcycle so I can get lost in style. Reading your post has given me some more ideas now! Spouse isn't going to be real happy when I start spending more $$$ on new things for the ride. Maybe if I convinced her that any new accessories will benefit her and provide more riding enjoyment!

:fingers-crossed-emo

Yours was one of the posts that I saw Tom. The location is perfect and that's where the outlet will go. I just wasn't sure which wire on the aux DC was positive or negative, or if it really matters.

Still can't find that rubber plug. Could you pin it down for me? Thanks!