IGNORED

Can't get my cruiser pegs tight

Danimal

So I scored a pretty good deal on some cruiser pegs at the harley shop last weekend. KuryAkyn part #7995, the application is for softail models 1985 and up. Basically it's a small peg with an offset. Really like the look of this one so I figured I can make it work. The pegs don't come with the ring for around the crash bar as I'm sure on the softail it's a straight bolt on into a pre-tapped hole. Bought 2 1" rings and stopped and picked up a couple of half inch nuts on the way home. Assembly went well but having trouble getting the rings on crash bar to quit slipping once I put foot on it. They want to push away when I go to rest my foot on them. Any suggestions? Was thinking rubber from inner tube might work. I think I had this kinda problem with the last pegs when I bought them too and those where for this application but I removed a washer and that did the trick these didn't have the washers so it's as tight as it can get right now. Idea's please... Thanks in advance. Oh total cost was less than 80 bucks. Thanks again.

inner tube won't work. go to autozone or sears,and get a 1/4-20 tap and the right size tap drill and drill a hole through the clamp and bar. tap the hole, and put a stainless steel cap screw and lock washer in the hole. they will never move again. you can get the stainless cap screw at home depot. :)

Thanks guys, Bill that won't destroy the integrity of the bar will it? I mean if it tips over it will still be just as strong I would think. Thanks Danimal
no, the bar should be just fine. thats the way i would fix it if it was mine, and if you get the stainlees round head screws it will be hardly noticable. solid as a rock. you could stand on them. if you hit hard enough to bend the bar the bike will be the least of your problems. bill :2133:

Good point Bill thanks. I'm gonna do just what you suggested, I never would have thought of that. Bob sorry I won't be up there this year. Burned up alot of vacation just filling in for days that the company called and said no work today. You just holler if those pesky amish give you any trouble over there and be safe.

I cut a shim from a beer uhh coke can and made a shim. Take a little silicon to hold it in place till you get it where you want it. Tightened right up then. I can stand up on mine now...they do not move.

Another option if you don't want to drill the bars is to pick up a 1" copper pipe coupler( plumbing section fo the local hardware store) split it in half(lengthwise) and then slip one piece between the bar and the clamp. The extra thickness of the copper should give you enough of a gap so that the clamp will tighten up on the bar, if you need more you can always insert the second half.:thumbsup:

Bought 2 1" rings and stopped and picked up a couple of half inch nuts on the way home. Assembly went well but having trouble getting the rings on crash bar to quit slipping once I put foot on it. .

What brand rings did you pick up. I use Kuryakyn 1" clamps and the highways are rock solid. You sure you didn't buy 1 1/8"?? I also got away from the early style clamps that took two screws and a plate to piece them together. The newer style is made with a hinge. They both did the job, but the newer ones are easier to R&R.