IGNORED

Ride on

Bigfoot

After reading Squidly's post here

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20982&highlight=screw+weeks

and watching some demos, I was pretty much sold. At least for one round of tires. When I get close to replacing mine (if I do not have any problems before then) I will do a similar test on both front and rears and see what happens.

I bought a few bottles on ebay for about $12 a piece (including shipping). I figured that worst that happens is that I wasted $24 on a preventative measure. Also I had figured that there is a chance that if I run something over, it will buy me some time to get to the shoulder (if it did not work like it was advertised).

My #1 concern with it is that people say it cleans out with water easily which leads me to question what happens if you have a hole in the tire that it sealed, then you ride in the rain. I called and talked to a customer service rep and they assured me that so long as it had 'cured' when it filled the hole that riding int he rain wouldn't be a problem - however, I am very skeptical. I do not understand how this can be water soluble on the inside of the tire and NOT go away when water hits it from the outside (again, IF it had filled a puncture).

Again, I have some experimental work to do once my tires get close to replacement time.

These are my :2cents:

Hopefully someone will weigh in that has had a real experience with it one way or the other :)

Rick M.

I do not understand how this can be water soluble on the inside of the tire and NOT go away when water hits it from the outside (again, IF it had filled a puncture).

I know I can wash latex paint out of the roller with water. After it cures rain doesn't wash it off the house........

Nothing popped up here when I started but I know there are some topics related to this subject. Ride-On. Or whatever it is called. Is it really worth it and for those who use it would you use it again?

Bigfoot,IT IS WORTH IT!! If no one wants to take my word I helped out another VR member on Christmas Day of 2008,He had a flat and evidentally had the members list with him he called asking if I knew where he could get his tire repaired..well Christmas day there was 0 chance so I told him I would bring a bottle of ride on and we would put it in and air it up.Did it, then had him ride it about 5 miles. As far as I know he is still riding on that tire as it was in decent shape. The next morning after Christmas he had to get to Houston and he told me it never lost anymore air!

I know I can wash latex paint out of the roller with water. After it cures rain doesn't wash it off the house........

Yea I understand that. When you open up your can of latex paint and roll it onto the wall the paint itself is exposed to the atmosphere where the hardening (curing) process begins to take place (more rapidly than it does in a 'sealed' can). While exposed to the atmosphere the particles (in latex I believe it is water-based) that are responsible for keeping the paint fluid evaporate which causes the paint to 'harden' thereby leaving you with that 'water-resistant' finish.

So while Ride-On goes from a bottle that is sealed (near 1atm of pressure or 101,325 Pa) and into a tire that will eventually have near 2.72 atm of pressure (~275,800 pa). When a puncture occurs, there is simply a pressure differential between the inside and out side of the tire causing the tire to deflate (no surprises there) until the Ride-On sealant is able to expand in such a fashion to seal the leak. Now, the sealant is not adhesive at all, since it will settle to the bottom of your tire if you let it sit long enough. Also, it does not harden when exposed simply exposed to the atmosphere (I actually just treated my tires last week adn intentionally put a dab on a paper towel that has been sitting on a shelf in my garage to see if it would harden or not). My garage has varied in temperature from around 60 degrees F to 105 F in since with relative humidity ranging from 9% to about 75% and the sealent is still close to the same consistency as it was when I put it there to begin with.

ANYWAYS, based on the report of the fellow that drove from Amarillo to Houston with it holding out, it sounds like at a minimum it is a reliable temporary solution!

Thanks for asking this question Bigfoot -- I was curious about the same thing...

I got mine from the E-bay seller "yourthebestbuyer"

I clicked on "make offer" and offered $24 (with 'free' shipping) for the two bottles they are selling. They accepted, and it came with the instructions, a small piece of tubing, and the valve stem remover needed for installation.

When/if you go to do this, make sure you have a firm grip on the stem removal tool (or a bucket over your hand) so you do not lose the valve stem as it will shoot out of there

Edited by LilBeaver

I enjoy Venture Rider and have learned much about the workings of our RSV's and enjoy riding with the folks.

But, Christmas eve in the evening I discovered I had a flat on my 05 RSV, I was 250 miles from home in a small town with no dealer and no tools, at least nothing to fix a flat and not far from Tom. So I sent a note to Tom to ask for advice on reputable dealer to get assistance from, and at 0400 Christmas I got a note with an answer but also offer to help even help haul my bike back to Houston if necessary. Sure enough 1000 am Christmas Day he came over helped me put the Ride-on in my tire and we aired it up. The hole was large (Texas Mesquite needle) in the rear tire and you could hear the air coming out. I rode it around and had to add air one more time. Later Christmas Day, I was called to work for an emergency left and rode 250 miles in the cold rain with no issues. Did not have to add air for several days. I finally changed the tire after about a month as it needed air regularly but the hole and damage was visible from several feet behind the bike.

2 important things:

1. Ride-on works

2. Tom and Venture Rider.org are GREAT!

Thanks Tom and Don

Kelly :12101:

Big Foot...

I have been running Ride-on in my scoots and in my work vehicles for years. And I swear by it, and will never ride without it (no comments from the peanut gallery)

A few years ago my daughter picked up a drywall screw in her new rear tire. She had Ride-on in her tires (yes, sometimes they do listen). When we took the screw out, the tire sealed and she ended up riding the tread off the tire.

Just my 2 cents...

:mytruck:

One guy, said, last year. Rear tire was worn out, Had Ride On in it, since new.

He removed wheel, and Screwed " three " Sheet metal screws into the Old tire before removeing. He said, the tire only lost about 3 lb of air in the process.

Let sit till next day, still same pressure, then he installed the New tire.

I use it, in all new tire installations now. !!

It also, balances the wheel, as per Ride On company. ( I'm not sure about that though )

• 2 years later...
Nothing popped up here when I started but I know there are some topics related to this subject. Ride-On. Or whatever it is called. Is it really worth it and for those who use it would you use it again?

i tryed it but it did not work.:mytruck1: