IGNORED

2820 Garmin on a First Gen.

Finally got a moment to install my Garmin. I placed it on the RH bar. It is integrated with the audio system through the cassette input. I gutted a cassette player and installed a switchbox. Now I flip a switch and the Garmin works with the intercom, CB, and the radio. The radio is cut off and then all the Garmin takes over. I also installed an XM receiver on the trunk. Finished the whole thing with a Buddy Rich microphone interface.

Now, we have MP3 input, XM, cell phone, and navigation.

I forget who sent me the cassette player, but you may claim a free switch interface conversion whenever you desire. Thanks for the extra unit.

Things to do yet:

1. Line the box to eliminate rattles.

2. Solder up an audio triggered priority switch for the MP3 to Garmin. This will eliminate the manual switch and allow for navigation prompts when switched to MP3.

3. Finish the box cover. It will be a flat cover with a piano hinge. Sapper Medic has a line on refrigerator magnetic sealing material to hold down the cover.

4. Install the 12VDC socket for MP3/Cell Phone charging. It will go inside the pocket.

The 2820 works great. I need to tweak the volume settings for the Bluetooth yet. It picks up my Motorola Q9c very well. It pulls in the phonebook well. My phonebook has a few hundred entries so it takes about 1 minute. The 2820 has a remote control, so Maggie can work it from the navigation platform (rear seat). It does not have a battery or an SD slot. However, it hooks via USB to the computer for using MapSource software. Volume from the system in all modes is fantastic. I like the wide screen and the buttons.

JB

• 2 weeks later...
Guest seuadr

3. Finish the box cover. It will be a flat cover with a piano hinge. Sapper Medic has a line on refrigerator magnetic sealing material to hold down the cover.

just a heads up.. if the screen isn't shielded, which i suspect it isn't. the magnetic field can screw up the edges of the display.

I'm hearing great things about that 2820....Feels like a GPS upgrade coming soon for me.:D

Boomer......who's wondering how the hell he will be able to push all them buttons.... and keep the scoot on the road.....and wave at the pretty wimmen as well. Multi-tasking my a$$........:bang head: