IGNORED

07 venture carb question

i just bought an 07 venture and i love the ride i moved up from a v star 1300 tourer.

how do you know when your carbs need to be synched what are the symptoms and how

often should you check them. also would it be worth getting the tools needed for the

job or cheaper to let someone else do it?

Bryan

As far as doing it yourself you will save major bucks buying a sync tool and it will pay for it self in a couple of uses.

From what I've seen dealers are asking between $50 and a couple of hundred bucks to do it for you. Some give a sermon about how many shop hours it takes. In reality, once you get to where you can reach everything it's maybe 15 minutes to do a sync (after the 1st time.) practice ya know.

I do check mine in the spring and again midsummer just because. If the bike is backfiring or chuffing a bit it is a good time to check it. And you won't believe the new friends you will make with your new skills. LOL!

I think Kitesquid had a thread on here somewhere listing out the opitions for sync tools. Pretty informative.

Yep....here it is.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34596&highlight=sync+tools

Mike

As far as doing it yourself you will save major bucks buying a sync tool and it will pay for it self in a couple of uses.

From what I've seen dealers are asking between $50 and a couple of hundred bucks to do it for you. Some give a sermon about how many shop hours it takes. In reality, once you get to where you can reach everything it's maybe 15 minutes to do a sync (after the 1st time.) practice ya know.

I do check mine in the spring and again midsummer just because. If the bike is backfiring or chuffing a bit it is a good time to check it. And you won't believe the new friends you will make with your new skills. LOL!

I think Kitesquid had a thread on here somewhere listing out the opitions for sync tools. Pretty informative.

Yep....here it is.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34596&highlight=sync+tools

Mike

Check out post #27 and #45.

Took mine in because cruise control wasn't working and they thought the carbs were running poorly... shop mechanic said "Can't believe the bike was still running, 2 carbs 8 millibars off and the other 2 15" He synced them and then gave me the bad news, cruise control switch was "worn out" Heck, I only got 28k on 2005 RSTD. He's still fixing it for free since it's still under warrantee. Bad part is it won't be in till Wed and were leaving to Colorado tomm grrrrrrrr. I did pick up a carb sync tool, the kind with the gauges and will be looking for someone to show me how to use it one day. Hints given to local friends lol. God Bless

hi

some have said they do a carb tune when they notice a viberation in the floor boards of the bike. some do it one a year, some do it twice a year. i my self bought the morgan carb tune also the clamp on tack. did my own about a year ago, had v7goose check it again with his home made system( he swares by his rig) at rick's gigawiskey texas mx day, but said mine were to close to mess with.

best reguards

don c.

hi

some have said they do a carb tune when they notice a viberation in the floor boards of the bike. some do it one a year, some do it twice a year. i my self bought the morgan carb tune also the clamp on tack. did my own about a year ago, had v7goose check it again with his home made system( he swares by his rig) at rick's gigawiskey texas mx day, but said mine were to close to mess with.

best reguards

don c.

My vacuum gauges are not home made - you can get the set from JC Whitney. They used to be under $50, but they price on them has gone way up in the past couple of years. Guess they got too popular!

I generally check the carb sync at every oil change - I think that is what is called for in the service schedule. It doesn't often need to be adjusted, but checking is easy and doesn't cowt anything if you have the tools.

Goose

hi

best reguards

don c.

Now that's interesting.. I just recently did my carb synch and took a long careful time doing it, adjusting a little here, a little there until all the bars were properly aligned etc..

I took the bike out for a run and in my opinion, what tells me the carbs are still rock solid is that my mirrors do not vibrate.. The view is so clear I can see great details on the highway in my mirrors.. I still have a thump thump in my floor boards and but another carb synch check shows them to be spot on..

Mirrors tell carb synch.. floor boards is something else but I can't remember what..

Anyone else?