IGNORED

i THINK I GOT THE WHINE

I had my 1st service done a few hundred miles ago. we went up to PA. over the weekend. About half way up there i started hearing what sounded like a whining gear grinding sound. It only seems to happen in 5th gear, when throttle on but not under a load (like pulling a hill). when coming down a hill if its coasting theres no noiose unless you ease on the throtle slightly. Is this the norm for the engine whine i have been reading about? I hadd all the oils changed at 600 miles and everything is synth.It only happens after the engine is warmed up.

One major thing you said tends for me to say it is NOT the dreaded whine...You said it only happends after the engine is warmed up...

Another thing that tends me to believe it is NOT the dreaded whine is you also said: It only seems to happen in 5th gear..

Questions:

Do you know if they greased the foward and aft end drive shaft splines?

Do you know if the also greased the rear wheel "hub splines"

Did they remove either wheel (front or rear)? If so, maybe they over tightend it and the wheel bearing begins to grind after it warms up??

I myself tend to believe it is NOT the dreaded whine based on your statements, however I am sure someone else will chime in and tell you what they think.

I had my 1st service done a few hundred miles ago. we went up to PA. over the weekend. About half way up there i started hearing what sounded like a whining gear grinding sound. It only seems to happen in 5th gear, when throttle on but not under a load (like pulling a hill). when coming down a hill if its coasting theres no noiose unless you ease on the throtle slightly. Is this the norm for the engine whine i have been reading about? I hadd all the oils changed at 600 miles and everything is synth.It only happens after the engine is warmed up.

One major thing you said tends for me to say it is NOT the dreaded whine...You said it only happends after the engine is warmed up...

Another thing that tends me to believe it is NOT the dreaded whine is you also said: It only seems to happen in 5th gear..

Questions:

Do you know if they greased the foward and aft end drive shaft splines?

Do you know if the also greased the rear wheel "hub splines"

Did they remove either wheel (front or rear)? If so, maybe they over tightend it and the wheel bearing begins to grind after it warms up??

I myself tend to believe it is NOT the dreaded whine based on your statements, however I am sure someone else will chime in and tell you what they think.

they did whatever the service (owner manual) called for. I dont believe it called for the front and after drive shaft spline.

they did whatever the service (owner manual) called for. I dont believe it called for the front and after drive shaft spline..

Your right..they manual doesnt say anything about the splines, and wont.....but Yamaha, for some reason, didnt apply much (if any) grease to those splines at the factory....many people including me, have had a lack of grease problem on the splines..

maybe you do too......:whistling:

they did whatever the service (owner manual) called for. I dont believe it called for the front and after drive shaft spline..

Your right..they manual doesnt say anything about the splines, and wont.....but Yamaha, for some reason, didnt apply much (if any) grease to those splines at the factory....many people including me, have had a lack of grease problem on the splines..

maybe you do too......:whistling:

SO ADD GREASE WHERE? IS IT EASY TO GET TO?

SO ADD GREASE WHERE? IS IT EASY TO GET TO?

Send me an email address where I can attach some photos for you and the how to information on greasing the drive shaft.

I can not post that info here since it came from another web site.

PS: drive shaft is not real hard, but is not easy if your not sure what to do......

Here is the tech article on the rear hub pins:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13263

Send me an email address where I can attach some photos for you and the how to information on greasing the drive shaft.

I can not post that info here since it came from another web site.

PS: drive shaft is not real hard, but is not easy if your not sure what to do......

Here is the tech article on the rear hub pins:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13263

I was just reading that. I think i will take it back to the dealer sinse it is new and under warenty and complain of the noise. They should do the repair under warrenty. Thanks for the input. The more i think about it it sounds like this may be the problem.

but i'm not sure if the noise is comming from the front or rear. Hmmmm oh well i'll let them worry about it.

Well okie dokie.......

You might want to read up on the greasing of the splines and rear hub pins for a good understanding of the associated problems and when you change that rear tire out, that is the best time to have it done...since they already removed the rear wheel.....save some bucks....

Well okie dokie.......

You might want to read up on the greasing of the splines and rear hub pins for a good understanding of the associated problems and when you change that rear tire out, that is the best time to have it done...since they already removed the rear wheel.....save some bucks....

tHATS WHY I LIKE THIS KIND OF SITE CAUSE THERES LOYS OF GOOD INFORMATION.